35 hex needs fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anniekm5454

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 35 gallon hexagon tank that has only 3 harlaquins in it. I could move these or add to them. Open to suggestions. I have a over the back type filter, (came with the tank) gravel that's dark in color and pretty smooth and rounded. Water slightly hard, ph neutral, temp right at 78 degrees. The tank is cycled. What do you guys think??

Cories of coarse, I love them. Any gouramis we get here in our city seem to die fast. They are not healthy even at the stores when they come in. I love gouramis but have never kept any alive longer than a month. :( I was kinda thinking black phantoms maybe with a few more of the little harlaquins?

You've got lots of options! I would probably get something like 3 types of schooling fish plus the cories. That might leave you room for a centrepiece fish if you'd like one.

Definitely fill out your rasbora school first, though. I recently fell in love with some hengelis in a display tank at my LFS.

Tetras come in so many varieties and so many colours. Just make sure you're stocking evenly - some for the top, middle, and bottom.

Thank you, your right, top, middle, bottom. Hmmm. One of our LFS had "purple harlaquins" they were pretty. What you you recommend for a center piece fish? I really don't want any gourami only due to how week they are here. In the past we had a store that had very healthy ones but it closed many years ago.

I definitely understand your concern about gouramis. I've avoided them for the same reason. Have you tried any variety other than dwarf? Pearl and honey gouramis aren't as prone to disease and can be great community fish.

I've got a 35g long with an angelfish as a centrepiece, an ABN pleco, and 3 small schools of tetras (blushing, bleeding heart, and diamond). I originally wasn't planning on having a centrepiece fish at all, but my boyfriend fell in love with angels at the store. They're certainly not necessary if you don't want one!

Hex tanks don't have much side to side swimming room, so a 4-6" fish like a Pearl Gourami would seem cramped. A honey is small and not prone to DG disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never had Angel fish before, even though I admire them every time I walk by a tank housing them. So beautiful and graceful. Are they hard to keep? There isn't lots of swim, very true, but would they not grow to maximum size in a smaller tank?? The golden orange of the honey gourami would be pretty with the black and orange of the harlaquins too.

I didn't realize pearl gouramis got that big! My mistake. I've only ever seen juveniles at my LFS. I should have mentioned that honey gouramis are smaller, also.

Angelfish are pretty hardy, actually. They grow taller than they do long, which makes me think one would do all right in your tank.

The only concerns with them really are that some fish will nip at their longer fins, and they may eat some of the smaller tetras like neons. Also I have to spot feed mine with a turkey baster because the tetras eat all of the food before he gets to it otherwise. I think it's fun though so it's no issue for me.

That does sound fun. Thank for the help, I will go check out my lfs to see what's available. First thing though is to beef up the size of my harlaquin school. Maybe a total of six or seven? My new led light looks amazing on the tank! Can't wait to get it stocked again.

Back
Top Bottom