36 gallon bow front, stocking advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PikaBu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I'm currently cycling my tank and deciding on my stock list but I'm new to some of these species so I wasn't sure about some things
I was thinking of getting

AquStockImage.php

The filtration status would still be at 120% so my filter should be able to handle the bio load

So some concerns I have are the bolivian ram and the honey gouramis
Everyone seems to be able to bring their fish back to the LFS but mine doesn't accept their fish back. They may not pre-sex their fish so I'm worried about aggression when I bring home 3 random ones. Can 3 honey gouramis live together peacefully regardless of their gender since I know they're the most peaceful gouramis. Also the rams I heard are social but if I can't sex them should I just stick to 1 or get the 3? Can males live together if there is no female to fight for? If they do sex them how many should I get, female to male ratio?

I was also interested in pearl gouramis but I heard they're social but get big so I don't think I can fit 3 in place of the honeys right? Can one exist with the 3 honeys?

1. See if you can find a new fish store. Or just ask if they would prefer you put the fish in the local water supply if they don't work for your tank.
2. Don't keep odd numbers of rams.
3. I would not keep multiple gourami in a tank your size, certainly not pearl.

You'll hopefully build stock slowly, which will allow you to get a feel for the dynamics.

Fun stuff! I look forward to seeing what you decide!

Would you say I should get 2 rams then, I don't think I have enough room for 4? I don't care for breeding but will they be peacefully when they don't pair off?
Also for the gouramis, I was leaning toward the honey ones cause they only grow up to 2 inches, would you still not advise keeping multiples, like let's say 3?

About the honey gourami I heard they're the most peaceful type of gourami, I read the source you provided and it seems to say so as well. Are they surprisingly aggressive if you don't break their line of sight?

For the rams if I can see them would 2 males be able to coexist?

Thanks for giving me advise by the way :)

I'm wording it differently. The line in that reference is, "If kept in a group make sure there are plenty of hiding places to keep one or more of the individuals from being bullied."

The line of sight referred to is the fish's. If they can see everywhere in the tank, they will try to claim the whole thing. If they have little alcoves or outcroppings that make it hard to see everywhere, then those become natural boundaries. It's not that you won't be able to see them, it's that they need to be able to not see each other. Like closing the bathroom door. They just need privacy sometimes.

If you have two male rams, they will fight. You could do two females or one of each.

My experience with honey gourami is they were not aggressive at all under any circumstance.

Okay that's for your advise I think the honeys should have enough hiding places if need be and I meant if I can't sex the rams, I'm worried I might end up with 2 males that's all

Toolman = has kept honey gourami
Me = have read a lot about honey gourami

Also Toolman has likely read a lot.

I understand the fear of not correctly sexing your rams. There are lots of guides, but that's not always helpful. If you're unsure, you can post pictures and people here will help.

Lol, yeah those were the first fish I got when we bought my 75. The tank came with a Jack Dempsey, 3 convicts, 2 tiger barbs, 2 red tailed sharks, and 2 plecos (1 a common), my wife added the gourami (3) because I mentioned I liked them.
No I hadn't researched them, but long story short everyone lived(all others rehomed), never any aggression then (app. a month) or after I got my current livebearers (about 1 1/2 yrs).
But this is just my experience, everyone can have a different experience. [emoji6]

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'm set on getting some honeys :)
Tank is almost finished cycling with nitrates showing. In the coming week or 2 I'll probably start stocking the tank with the Harlequin Rasboras first

Back
Top Bottom