36 Gallon Bow Front Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liondtm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
6D34DA87-1CA9-489B-A0F4-5047433A8B9B.jpg

Hey everyone, just finished setting up this 36 gallon bowfront tank I got for Christmas, currently letting it cycle, probably going to add the live plants around Friday/Saturday or early next week. Once the water in the tank is squared away I’m going to start stocking it. I know I want 2-3 angelfish and possibly a red tailed and bala shark but I’m unsure on what else to get. Any advice helps!

Hi!

Congrats on getting a beautiful new tank!

If you are new to fish keeping or haven't done it for awhile, check out my signature link for a very good article. It discusses the nitrification cycle and options to cycle the tank - fishless or fish-in with links for the specific methods.

As for the cool looking fish you mention, they are better suited to larger tanks.

I have an Angelfish which is the size of a palm of your hand and its fins are over 10, probably 12" long vertically and ~7" long and my 21 in tall 72G tank is a little short for him.

Bala "sharks" get over a foot long and should be in groups.

Red tail shark should be in a minimum of a 65 to 75G tank. They can and usually are VERY territorial and need a large area to swim and cruise in. My RTS was over 6.5 inches long.

There are other types of fish which would be better suited for a 33" wide 17.5" tall
tank!!!

Back
Top Bottom