36-gallon compatibility question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

I was outlining my dream setup today and here's what I came up with.
[FONT=&quot]

White Skirt Tetra (2),
Black Skirt Tetra (2),
Serpae Tetra (2),
Hillstream Loach,
Amano Shrimp (4),
Longfin Zebra Danio (3),
Longfin Blue Zebra Danio (3),
Glass Catfish (5),
Dojo Loach,
Dwarf Gourami (2)

Do you guys foresee any compatibility issues here, or any other issues/problems/concerns?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[/FONT]

White Skirt Tetra (2),
Black Skirt Tetra (2),
Serpae Tetra (2),
Hillstream Loach,
Amano Shrimp (4),
Longfin Zebra Danio (3),
Longfin Blue Zebra Danio (3),
Glass Catfish (5),
Dojo Loach,
Dwarf Gourami (2)

Make sure you are providing enough schooling mates for your schooling fish. The 2 white skirts and 2 black skirts are the same basic fish just different color morphs, so they should school together. The zebra and blue danios should school together as well. However, I would seriously consider adding more serpae tetra. Tetra are schooling fish that do best in groups of 5+. I certainly wouldn't do less then 3. Even better might to just not add them at all which leaves you room to add more skirted tetra.

Also, word of warning with the dwarf gouramis. Gouramis are generally peaceful community fish however they can be very territorial towards other gouramis. If you are getting two of the same sex, I'd suggest buying them from the same tank at your LFS and introducing them to your tank at the same time to reduce chances of aggression. Also, have a back up plan just in case you need it.

Hey glass cats get up to 6" and should be kept in shoals of at least 6...I think your tank is a little small for this. I would do corydoras instead :) I haven't had success keeping 2 gourami in the same tank...the stores usually sell only males and they typically fight when kept together. My hillsteam loach is my fav fish, they are a really unique looking addition :)

I'm not sure about the size of mature glass catfish, but I agree...they are also schooling fish. I would pick 2-3 of your favorite schoolers from your list and just stick with those so that you have room for decent sized schools.

Thanks for the thoughts! Viper, as far as the hillstream loach goes, I did read over that article and I feel that I could do it as long as I have proper aeration and bright lights to ensure algae growth. Furthermore, I could increase the current in places by attaching bubble stones to the side of the tank (which might be really cool anyway!

Coleallensmom, Thanks for the advice! I'm really trying to get a balance between variety and having enough of each fish to school...but I'll definitely add a third serpae if I decide to go with them.

Siva, the problem with that is, I already have 3 glass cats in a 10-gallon and I want to move them to a place where they'll thrive more and I can get a few more of them... they're going to get too big for the 10g so I have to have some place to move them. Otherwise, I'd probably reconsider!

And a question about the dwarf gourami: if I can't get two males, so I decide to go with just one, will it be stressed out, territorial and/or aggressive?

Thanks everyone!

And a question about the dwarf gourami: if I can't get two males, so I decide to go with just one, will it be stressed out, territorial and/or aggressive?

A single gourami should be just fine by itself. I have a blue three spot gourami in my 37 gallon and my son has a powder blue dwarf gourami in his 20 gallon...both are thriving and happy. My blue gourami has a lot of personality...I really enjoy her.

IME, be it males or females...gouramis will fight. As with anything, it is possible to have two with laid back personalities that will get along, but they are often territorial little stinkers! If you can get a male and female, you'd probably be ok, but then you'd have to deal with the male building his bubble nest and being territorial to other fish in the tank when the female is breeding.

Yes gouramis are bettas cousin and you can often see it in their behavior! I didn't know males would fight with females tho..darn I always wanted to try that. I see your predicament with the glass cats (I didn't realize it was you on both threads). My largest fish in my 29 is about 3.5" and it provides him plenty of space so that's in part what I was judging by. I would maybe reconsider adding more. Even if they do better in groups, 5 of them full grown would potentially be 30" of fish..too much for that tank...or maybe you could just adopt them out when they get too big. Hey maybe they won't get that big..who knows..just what I've read that deterred me from getting them for my 29 :)

Idk that a male and female will. Was meaning two males or two females together; chances are they will harass each other.

Oh I see. Unfortunately I've never even seen a female for sale :(

That IS a bummer but I wouldn't really like to risk breeding anyway... I don't want to have to take care of the babies if they do hatch... but it sucks for people who'd like to have a female... and yeah, I'm really attached to my cats, but I found a good deal on a 40 gallon, so that'll give them a little more room...

Back
Top Bottom