36G Bow Front FW Tank. Filtration / Fish Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamshelbyshort

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys,
Just joined this site and wanted to hear any suggestions about the current tank I am working with Filtration and fish wise. I have a FW 36G Bow Front Tank.

Fish:
I currently have a Tiger Oscar that's about 7", a Blood Parrot Cichlid that's about 5", a silver Gourami at about 5", and a G Tile Freshwater Eel. They seem to get along pretty well besides occasional antagonizing. I've been feeding Red Minnows to give the eel a chance to get food since the oscar is a **** bully with swiping anything else before it gets to the bottom.

Half Brackish:
I know the G Tiles are technically Brackish and have been transitioning the salinity to a little higher to fight unwanted bacteria and trying to find a compromise for the cichlids and the eel. Not sure if this is generally something that can be done. I understand that it would benefit to have separate tanks but given the situation trying to make it work. All the fish seem to be ok with the salinity change. I know Aquarium Salt is common but was told to use it in higher quantities to slowly transition the tank. Looking at about 1.004 right now. Was told Brackish are usually 1.005-1.010 Any one have any experience with anything similar to this?

Filtration / Balanced Aquarium:
I have an Aqueon hang on the back power filter that came with the tank. Nothing special. I've been considering getting either a Marineland Biowheel filter or the Fluval staged Filtration Aqua Clear Filter. A canister filter is a bit out of my budget right now so I feel either of these would be the next step. I have been having problems with my tank being cloudy and murky. I have been informed that this might be from a lack of beneficial bacteria. I just added Bio Chem Zorb to the filter to help with bacteria levels in the tank. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this or a filter they prefer over the other?

There are several issues to address:

1.) this tank size is no where near big enough for even a single Oscar, let alone an Oscar with other fish. I usually say a 75 for a single Oscar.

2.) yes, tile's are not truly freshwater, and are commonly kept in full salt water even.

3.) aquarium salt will not raise the salinity and create brackish water, as it lacks several other minerals that sea salt contains. You are basically doing nothing's by adding aquarium salt.

4.) cichlids other than red/green chromides will NOT tolerate salt, and plecos especially will not tolerate it.

5.) your bioload will be maxed out quickly. You're gonna need massive filtration and large water changes

1) Glad that you bring this to my attention. The Oscar is growing rapidly and am thinking about selling him to a local Aquarium shop that will buy fish.

2) I wonder why I have been told to use Aquarium Salt. I know it's not at all the same thing, but I was told that it would help raise the salinity just enough to let the G Tile to live a little better than straight freshwater. I am wanting to set up a Saltwater tank in a 55G I have but am slowly collecting everything, I plan on switching the G tile over to that tank once everything is finished but is still a few months out and was in a situation where I could get the Eel while the shop had it.

3) Good to know now that this is not an option. I felt it was a little off by trying bring salinity up slowly with south american Cichlids that dwell in inland rivers.

4) Trying to learn more about maintaining everything with my tank with hardier fish (excluding the eel, who's been hardly effected at all, which tells me nothing to drastic is being changed apparently), been testing the PH level and trying to figure out the best biological filtration system that's as natural as can be done. I have only driftwood and lace rock in the tank which is supposed to help with maintaining beneficial bacteria levels. Yet to delve into nitrate levels and such. (Part of why I'm waiting on the salt water tank also. Materials and lack of knowledge. Not trying to hurt any fish)

Having a plan is your best bet, and research everything, don't even trust what I just told you (although i have no reason to steer you wrong) go to google and type away, google can be your best friend when you use multiple sources and use it correctly ;)

Back
Top Bottom