38 Gallon Tank Fish Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiamiRedhawk33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

Looking for some ideas of what fish to add into my tank.

For background information, it is a 38 gallon tank, bio wheel filtration system (double cartridge), a large rock with many holes and internal space (that my current fish love to be in), some fake/colorful decorative plants, and sand (I THINK aragonite sand but I forget. Whatever the common freshwater sand is...).

As for fish, I CURRENTLY have 6 giant danios, a red zebra cichlid (about 2ish inches), two clown loaches, and a rainbow shark. I have a friend taking my danios, and possibly the cichlid, but not sure yet.

I am looking for opinions of what I should add that would make the tank more colorful and active. The ideas of fish can be whether the danios and/or cichlid stay in the tank, or if they are all removed and just leave the two loaches and rainbow shark.

I'll leave a pic for a visual. Thanks to any and all suggestions, it is very appreciated! (Disregard the blue zebra. Sadly, it died many weeks ago.)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1418874429233.jpg
    1418874429233.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 287
I'm not sure what else you can get,but you should regime those clown loaches if your not planning on upgrading to around a 100 gallon tank in the future, they need a much bigger tank than 38 gallons.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When the fish become too big the fish will be relocated. I've had them for almost 7 months not and they've grown 1-2 inches and that's it. Assuming they will not have a surprising growth spurt, I assume I have some time with them in my tank with other fishy friends.

Think of it this way. You see small goldfish in a bowl, and they never get real big maybe 3-4 inches. They live for a few years and then die. People are happy with that not realizing that a true adult size of a GF is 10-12 inches and the lifespan can be 25years + Their organs continue to grow even if their skeletal system are unable to. Eventually it crushes their internal organs and they die a rather painful slow death. It's the same with clown loaches and other big fish. Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Clown Loach
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1081&pcatid=1081

Then let's say, perhaps, I only kept the rainbow shark. What are some ideas then?

Back
Top Bottom