38 Gallon tank Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbenn2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! Newbie here...

So I've got a 38 gallon tank set up and i have put in 3 fish just to make sure my cycle was a success (as recommended to me at my LPS). I do plan on adding more fish within a week or two. I was wondering if my ideas for stocking will work or not, if not where should I cut back?

so as of today I have:

- 2 Cherry Barbs
- 1 Sunburst Platy

I want to eventually add:

- 10 neon tetras
- 6-10 shrimp
- 1 catfish/ cleaning fish of some sort ( I know plecos will get too big so they aren't being considered..plus the boyfriend hates the way they look for some reason)
- 2 FEMALE bettas ? (hopefully I can do this) AND/OR One angelfish

-i will also be adding plants, a bubbler, and one more hiding cave or a few small ones ( currently have in a tiki hut decoration/ hiding spot and the Barbs LOVE IT)

please let me know if this will be overstocking and again if it is please suggest what I should remove. OR, if you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them. I appreciate you all so much! Thanks! :)

Many types of catfish are predatory and may eat your shrimp. You may want to consider a small group (5-6) of corys. There are several smaller growing pleco species that look cool, but if your boyfriend hates how they look . . .
I think the rest of your stock list sounds ok, with the exception of the bettas. I don't know much about them, but have heard that females can be as aggressive as males and should either be kept singly, or in a group of at least 5, to spread the aggression. But, hopefully someone with more betta experience will weigh in on that subject.

Second the opinion on the corys, they're a lot of fun and peaceful. Consider more livebearers my family loves to watch the fry and when overrun we take fry to lfs for credit, always have something new we want!

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom