3d background, need help from anyone thats build one of these.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyfish79

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm building my 3d background for my 55 gallon freshwater tank, I'm getting to the point where I'm going to start water curing it but how do people who have build these get them to sink haha. It is made out of syrofoam. I have one more coat of quickcrete to do this afternoon and them seal it. Any help would be very grateful seeing how I've spent a lot of time on this. Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 232
Heres the back of it, my ipad only lets me load one photo up at a time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 248
yes silicone it to the inside of the tank it going in and fill the tank with water and start soaking.

Thanks bob, should i keep my filter running while its soaking?

There it is all finished, time to water cure!!!!!!!! Bob, how long did it take for your wall to quit leeching and your water to stabilize?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 253
add some prime to the water. some take a week some take longer. after a week check all your water test . and see where it sets. when u think its ready get some test fish like some feeders from the lfs and see how it goes with them

Might be too late but make sure you use plenty of silicone I had one I did the same way come crashing through my versa top into my light one night.

i also cut holes in mine and added gravel to help hold it down and coverd the holes with spray foam insulation

I used 3/4 of a tube of silicone, hopefully this holds it. I'm letting it cure over night and plan on adding water tomorrow after work. Hope it works out because it looks fantastic in the tank!

ForumRunner_20131006_194154.jpg

No its 3/4" insulation stacked onto top of each other then I used quikcrete over everything. 4 coats, added some weight so we shall see

Thanks guys! I'm actually going to try and make one for my 10 gallon tank and make the background an aio system for a nano reef, should be interesting to see if it works out

Back
Top Bottom