4 dead fish in 2 days :,(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvious357

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my tank set up for about 3 months now and everything has been greet till now. It's a 300litre tank. 2 of my tropheus duboisi's, 1 electric yellow and a gold spot pleco. All my water parameters are perfect no ammonia, no nitrates and low nitrites, ph is 8.
I'm just wondering if an aggressor in the tank would cause this? What do I have to look for to pick out an aggressor? Also there's been clear flakey pieces floating on top of the water, I am using a tunze powerhead to circulate the water and agitate the surface.
I'm just curious as to weather electric blues are aggressive too? Not sure If he's the culprit. He has a couple little white spots on his bottom fin. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Dvious357 said:
I've had my tank set up for about 3 months now and everything has been greet till now. It's a 300litre tank. 2 of my tropheus duboisi's, 1 electric yellow and a gold spot pleco. All my water parameters are perfect no ammonia, no nitrates and low nitrites, ph is 8.
I'm just wondering if an aggressor in the tank would cause this? What do I have to look for to pick out an aggressor? Also there's been clear flakey pieces floating on top of the water, I am using a tunze powerhead to circulate the water and agitate the surface.
I'm just curious as to weather electric blues are aggressive too? Not sure If he's the culprit. He has a couple little white spots on his bottom fin. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks

I find it odd that u have nitrite and no nitrate. Are u sure u test nitrate properly? Shaking bottle #2 for 30 sec and test tube for 1min?

Dvious357 said:
Thanks

I'm assuming that you mean 0 Nitrites and low Nitrates.
Talking about the dead fish, Did they look damaged? Did you noticed any changes in their behaviors before they died? Like not eating, not swimming, or hiding?
Observe the spots in the electric blue with more detail. Do you think that could be ich?

Hello

I have a 60L tank, I clean the water one a week, But there is a real build up of rubbish!, Is there way of resolving this, Have read not to change the water complety, My fish are getting quite aggressive, and seem hungry all the time. I recently found by beautiful Betta fish with only a head left, which was very upsetting.

ejaramillo01 said:
I'm assuming that you mean 0 Nitrites and low Nitrates.
Talking about the dead fish, Did they look damaged? Did you noticed any changes in their behaviors before they died? Like not eating, not swimming, or hiding?
Observe the spots in the electric blue with more detail. Do you think that could be ich?

Yeah sorry, I get nitrates and nitrites back to front lol..
I've been doing lots of research and I think that 2 of the fish died from molawi bloat. They're stomaches were extremely bloated. They were acting different to, a few of the fish weren't coming up to my fingers at feeding time and had little hunger. Which I now know why after the research. Wish I new this earlier. But I still can't work out how the pleco died a couple hrs after?! It only really lives off the algie. And there were no physical signs of being attacked.
I do think that it's ich with the electric blue cause he's been scratching his scales on the sand. I did read up though that after water changes some fish do ich while adjusting to new water, so I'll have to monitor it and see if it keeps scratching.
Guess it's gonna be a mater of success and failure over the next year while I learn as much as I can about ciclids.
Thanks people :)

If you are not positive that it is ich, if you could post a picture that would be helpful to diagnosis. There are LOTS of things that look like white spots fish disease wise, but ich looks like little salt particles all over the fish.

Hello

I have a 60L tank, I clean the water one a week, But there is a real build up of rubbish!, Is there way of resolving this, Have read not to change the water complety, My fish are getting quite aggressive, and seem hungry all the time. I recently found by beautiful Betta fish with only a head left, which was very upsetting.

Biggest thing is not to overfeed. Hard sometimes, I know, especially when they "seem" hungry and appear to beg for food. Feed just enough so that they eat it all in a couple of minutes. Some people feed twice a day, I feed only once (except with new fish, they get fed twice a day for awhile) and I fast them all one day a week.

What kind of fish do you have? Depending on what you have, Bettas don't make great community fish, althugh it can be done if you choose the right fish and have the correct environment for them.

Correct about not changing all of the water. Partial water changes weekly. I do about 50% w/c in all of my tanks once a week, some people recommend less. But I have goldfish which are messy and in another tank I have african dwarf frogs and bristlenose plecos, which are messy as well, so by the time I've cleaned all of the gravel, I've done a 50% w/c, whether I want to or not!

Thanks for this,

I have a female Betta, 5 Neons, 3 Molly's that are interbreeding so have babies, 1 Galazy, 1 Gourami dwarf, 7 Guppys, 5 Bumble bee's and a Puffer Fish. and a Cory, I am going to sell my mollys, as they keep breeding. I have recently put in my tank also a fresh water lilly.

Do you take out your gravel to clean.

Thanks

Ashes2ashes said:
If you are not positive that it is ich, if you could post a picture that would be helpful to diagnosis. There are LOTS of things that look like white spots fish disease wise, but ich looks like little salt particles all over the fish.

Ok, I'll take a pic and put it up as soon as I get home in a couple days. The one ho has 3 white spots on his bottom fin is the one that has been scratching on the sand.

Ok, cool. I have just found that a LOT of times people (myself included once) think they have ich when they see white spots or patches, and sometimes it turns out to not be ich at all. Ich very quickly looks like you dipped your whole fish in grains of salt if that image helps lol. It looks like this (picture is not mine):
ich.gif

Back
Top Bottom