4 fish dead! >.< How do I save the rest???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know what happened! My fish have been doing FINE these last few months! No issues My tank is cycled. The other day I noticed my female cherry barb died. I didn't think anything of it, had to tear a few plants out of the sand to get to her. (none planted tank) yesterday my otto died, i dont think he was eating so i took a couple more plants out to get to him and did a 10% water change. since the water was low and my plants were out anyway i moved a couple things around in the tank nothing major but today I found my hardy female killie fish was dying.. she still is ): and i left came back and my angel was dead too!!!!! ),: I CRIED!!!! I looked at my last angel fish alive and shes bloated!!!! Im scared shell die as well! WHATS HAPPENING TO MY TANK??????? is there something i did wrong? None of my fish seemed ot hungry today either. ): Im scared im going to lose a lot more PLEASE HELP!

First thing, do you have a test kit? What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? What size tank? How many fish and what kinds? When was the last PWC done and how much?

Hi! Thanks for responding! It's a 60 gallon. Before everything happened I have/had 2 small angel fish, 1 otto, 2 german blue rams, 2 honey sunset gourami, 1 ballon pearl gourami, 4 killies, 2 new rummy nose tetra, 2 cherry barb

Now both of my angels are gone, 1 killie, my otto and my cherry barb passed.

I just did the water change yesterday, I'm not sure what any of the readings are. I ran out of a test kit not too long ago but haven't rushed to go get another one because everything has seemed so fine and I do PWC once a week to every other week. I will have to go buy one tomorrow. ): Do you have any idea what would be causing bloating or so many deaths so suddenly?

Oh and i don't know if this matters but there has been some brown algae growing in the tank just recently too

Have u noticed any white stringy poop?

Bloated could mean constipation, dropsy, internal parasites etc...

First thing, do you have a test kit? What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? What size tank? How many fish and what kinds? When was the last PWC done and how much?

All of these questions need to be answered for us to even have a remote chance giving you any idea what happened to your tank.

Yep, need data, but it sounds like an ammonia spike. I'll speculate anyway. Possible causes: PWC with chlorinated water without a de-chlorinator reduced the bacteria. Perhaps a recently-changed filter cartridge took too much bacteria with it (especially if it's not a Bio-wheel). Regardless, the remedy will be big water changes with de-chlorinated water, and match the temperature.

Hi there,

You can always find a LFS that will test your water for free. Just be sure they test it with a liquid test kit.

Did you happen to wash any filter media? Is the water cloudy?

Hi all! Thank you all for responding!!! Sorry It's been so long to get back online! I was SUPER busy this weekend. & Yes I have noticed some white stingy poop. I didn't really think anything of it though.. /: Can that mean they're constipated? How do you stop a fish from being constipated? I tested my water and all of my levels were fine except for my nitrates. They were a little high. I don't know the numbers now, I did it the next day. I also did a PWC but a couple more fish died afterward, so I paniced & used my extra 36 gallon that was lying around and threw all the fish in there. because I didn't want them to keep dying off. you could tell they were all very stressed! I felt horrible! Since I put them into the 36 gallon they have all been fine. or better anyway. none have died. I cleaned out my tank today and I found some little rust spots on the bottom of the tank. I don't know how they got there. maybe the guy i bought it from did something and I just didnt notice them. can tiny rust spots do that though? I have a feeling that may have been part of the issue since rust is toxic???? But i'm still not sure /:

Yep, need data, but it sounds like an ammonia spike. I'll speculate anyway. Possible causes: PWC with chlorinated water without a de-chlorinator reduced the bacteria. Perhaps a recently-changed filter cartridge took too much bacteria with it (especially if it's not a Bio-wheel). Regardless, the remedy will be big water changes with de-chlorinated water, and match the temperature.

Hi there! I tested the ammonia it was fine, I thought it could have been that maybe i forgot to put in dechorinator but i was told i did, and i do remember doing so. And when I change the water I ALWAYS test the temp of the water with a digital thermometer to make sure I'm not shcoking the fish with too hot or to cold water. I also I didn't take out any filters or change anything recently (and i do have a bio wheel! :) ) can waiting too long to change the filters harm your fish too bad? I havent changed them in aboooout 2 months?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom