4 Foot 150g-Still Unacceptable for Tangs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

As some of you now I have been looking to upgrade my tank for a while now, and came across a good deal on a four foot 150 gallon aquarium, however it is the four foot version. 24"L x 48"W x 30"H

I know the general rule is that four footers are usually unacceptable for Tangs, but was wondering if a 150g was any difference due to the size.

Thank you!

It all depends on the tang. The bristletooth, tomini...great 4 ft 'smaller tank' tangs. That said, this is still a large 4 ft tank. You could probably get away with one tang in there, as long as it isn't one of the ones that gets massive.

The larger Tangs are rated for a 125g tank @6' long.
WhiteTail Bristletooth
Yellow Eye Kole
Tomini would be acceptable in a 4' tank.

You can keep a wide variety of tangs, despite the 4ft profile. Provide ample flow and rock work for the tang to interact with and the aquaria will feel larger. I'd stay away from Unicorns or other tangs who reach the 3 foot range.

Bristle tooth tangs would be the best for te 4ft print. The rest IMHO need more swimming room

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We are ignoring the size of the tank. Normally it is looked upon that the '4ft ok tangs' such as the bristle and tomini end up in a 75 for an example. This is a 150. I think you could easily get away with a yellow or other 'medium' sized tang. The width should be taken into account as well, though a 6 fter would be a much better fit.

Thanks everyone for your input! I also came across a 125g today for a more expensive price, but it sounds like the footprint is far superior when it comes to the fish I want to keep. Thank you again! :)

The 30" top to bottom is somewhat wasted. I would put a couple round bodied tangs in this tank, but It's basically the footprint of a 120, so treat it as such. I would shy away from a 30" deep tank if I could. It's going to be a pain to reach the bottom. If you are thinking reef tank for this, I would look at something else. 30" front to back and 24" tall would be better.

Did you go with the 125g Red? Or are you still looking?

It does indeed look like I am going to go with the 125g! Before I do, however, I want to look around one more time tomorrow to see if I can find a better price. If not, I am going with this one. :) I can't believe it is finally about to happen (well, time 2 as you know well :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom