4 hr drive to Vegas with goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have found a good home for my goldies! :D The person lives about four or five hours away from me. My question is, how can I safely transport them? I have never had to drive so far with fish. Any help would be deeply appreciated!!

we only had to drive about an hour but I put my chiclids in a bucket and put a bubbler in with a car adapter. didnt have any problems good uck

I think I might put them in a bucket and modify the lid so I can run tubing down into the water and supply oxygen every now and again with a hand pump. Would this be acceptable? Anyone? lol

I drove from Ohio to Georgia (roughly 12 hours) with my fish in a trash bucket with plants and a battery powered aerator. My fish are not big though, that is a factor. I think out of the 10+ fish I brought with me only 2 eventually ended up dying from complications.

My goldies, 8 of them in all, are all varying lengths between 1" to 4" inches. They have handled a 2 hour car ride before, so I hope they can manage a 4. We'll stay away from the route through Death Valley to avoid taking the chance of over heating the car and being unable to keep the temperatures cool and or breaking down. I hope they all make it. They have been through too much to lose any of them now when they are about to be homed in a pond!

Thanks for the input guys :p I'm so excited for them and myself! Getting rid of the goldfish is part of a bigger operation that requires getting a much larger aquarium and starting a serious tropical freshwater aquarium. Depending on the size of tank I end up getting, I'll let it cycle for a month or two and ponder/research species that could be acceptable for the amount of space/bioload. I would really like convicts or African cichlids for their color and personality, but they might be too aggressive for me :\

That's wonderful news that you found them a good home!!!! Another idea would be a large cooler with the battery powered pump. I think our large cooler holds atleast 30-40g & rolls on wheels. It would also help keep the temp stable for the trip. Cooler water holds more dissolved oxygen than warm so keep this in mind, too. Make sure you take some time to acclimate them to their new water. The best of luck!!! :)

Well all the goldies made it to Vegas and were given to a middle aged couple who have a large pond in their backyard. I am so sad to see my little goldies go after having them for 3 years but I know I did the best possible thing by finding them a good home. Now, I shall grieve by looking at the new possibilities rehoming them has opened for me! Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom