4 months in... hitchhiker crab. Cute, but what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
So our power goes out so the tank is completely dark. So is the room. Anyway... The power comes back on and my lights are on timers which don't have batteries. Great... so 192w of PC light just COMES BACK ON. Anyway, I see this guy just hangin out by one of my rocks so I run and grab the camera. Heres a pic... Can anybody ID him? He's about 2 inches right now i'd say.

Attachments

• hitchhikercrab_162.jpg
    hitchhikercrab_162.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 43
I've seen this crab a few times in past readings and have never that I can recall, read anything about it being ID'd. Most times these small crabs just scavange and are ok til they get big. Then they may start to kill off snails (read somewhere that those big fat claws are made for smashing). Some of the larger crabs can even take down small fish. The best place for him is in your sump/fuge area. Sorry I can't help with the ID.

crabs are hard and better shots of the claws can help.. Totally agree with Fluff.. but the little guy in the fump or fuge..

I trapped my strayberry crab out by placing a tall glass in the tank leaned against the lr with a big piece of shrimp in the bottom. Took a week or so to catch him..

Back
Top Bottom