40-80 ppm nitrate from tap water?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Dog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m getting a reading of 40-80 ppm nitrate from my tap water! Any ideas? Yes I did the test right I know the tests are tricky for the nitrates. Btw it’s a api master teal kit

Id check a water report to see if that’s normal for your area. If so you may need to
1) switch to purchased or RO water if it’s a small tank 2)stock lightly with hardy fish and get fast growing live plants and good lights to absorb the nigrdff

Nitrates

I’m getting a reading of 40-80 ppm nitrate from my tap water! Any ideas? Yes I did the test right I know the tests are tricky for the nitrates. Btw it’s a api master teal kit

Hello T...

Floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort, Water sprite, Water lettuce and Pennywort will reduce the nitrate level. You can also use nitrate reducing filter media. Acurel and HBH are companies that carry this sort of thing. It's a cut to fit pad that you just put into your tank's filter. Also a water treatment like Seachem's "Safe" will detoxify nitrate.

B

Back
Top Bottom