40 breeder build! +pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have experience with the pre built overflows from glass-holes.com? I was wondering if the 700gph one would be good or if i should just make my own. Im going all out on this tank and would like to get everything right the first time

Make your overflow match you return pump and skimmer, If you skimmer processes 500gph then you need a return that does 500gph and a overflow the does 500gph. This allows the skimmer to work properly. you can use a prebuilt one or make your own it wont matter.

Got the sides on today then ran out of time. I'm hoping to have this stand ready to stain and finish in a week or so.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130313_195622.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130313_195622.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20130313_195630.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130313_195630.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 50
Great skimmer is the Reefoctopus NWB110, its 190$ and will be the best skimmer you can find for the price. It pumps 250GPH and is rated for 75G-100G, If you want to over skimm you could get a NWB150 I have on and LOVE it its amazing. they are 224$ and pump 500gph. Honestly you would be perfectly fine with the NWB110.

Those are the ones i was looking at. Just trying to decide if its worth it to go with the 150 or if its just overkill and i should just get a 110

Well heres a few things to help you. If you get the 150 you will need a bigger return pump so that will cost you a bit more like 20-40$. However it will allow you to upgrade to say a 125g in the future if you wanted and not have to buy a new skimmer. Thats why I got the NWB150 for my 75g because I knew some day I would upgrade and this way I dont have to buy another skimmer. You can never skim to much IMO

Hmm that's a good way to think of it. I probably won't upgrade for a long time but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. Do you have a specific return pump you would suggest for the 110 and the 150?

how tall is the head of the tank? Measure from the were the pump will be to the top of the return. Most tanks are 4ft. So if thats the case for the NWB110 you would use a Mag 3, and for the NWB150 you would want mag7 or a quiet one 3000

The glass-holes 700gph works great on a 40b with a mag 7 return. My setup used a bubble magus nac 3 (fort also uses this skimmer). I was happy with mine, and to my knowledge, he's been pleased with his as well.

mfdrookie516 said:
The glass-holes 700gph works great on a 40b with a mag 7 return. My setup used a bubble magus nac 3 (fort also uses this skimmer). I was happy with mine, and to my knowledge, he's been pleased with his as well.

What do you think would be better, the bubble magus or reef octopus nwb110? They're both about the same price and have good reviews

Well, I've never used an octopus... but they seem to have a very good track record. If you can get them for about the same price, I'd probably go for the octopus simply because they're more popular and probably easier to sell if you ever get out (like I did), or upgrade.

Ok sounds like I'll go with the octopus. So far for equipment im thinking 6 bulb t5 lights (still open for suggestions), vortech mp10, reef octopus nwb 110, mag 5 or 7 return, and a good controller (also need suggestions).What size heaters should i have?

Definitely go with a mag 7 and plumb in a ball valve above it... though you'll likely not need it. As far as fixtures go, look in to LED. reefbreeders.com has a nice dimmable unit that would allow you to keep anything you want, all for about $200. I ran fishneedit T5HO's over mine, but considered switching over to LED shortly before deciding to get out of the hobby.

Ok mag 7 and ball valve it is. I've been looking into LEDs a little but not quite sure yet. I'll have to check that link out. Thanks!

Would the 1500 be okay on a 90 gallon long with a quite one 1657 or something like that for the return? Or would a 3000 from glass holes and a mag 18 be a better option ? Im about to drill my 90 first time drilling. Sorry to steal the spotlight but drookie seems to have some knowledge im looking for. Pm me if possible! Thanks!

Dimdim said:
Would the 1500 be okay on a 90 gallon long with a quite one 1657 or something like that for the return? Or would a 3000 from glass holes and a mag 18 be a better option ? Im about to drill my 90 first time drilling. Sorry to steal the spotlight but drookie seems to have some knowledge im looking for. Pm me if possible! Thanks!

No worries!

Back
Top Bottom