40 Breeder Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platinum_Cats

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am new here, and cichlids, but not new to fish.
I have kept fish for almost 2 decades, but after keeping bettas, gourami and livebearers exclusively, it's getting boring! I need to try something new.

I have a 40 gallon breeder that I want to put some cichlids in. The current fish will be given to a local LFS, so the tank will be empty.

I was thinking keyhole cichlids and angel fish with some tetras, but I don't know for sure. I really like biotope / biotype tanks, as that is what I usually did with my gourami.

I am open to ANY suggestions as I am unsure where to start with cichlids. I have had a few dwarf variety in the past, but it was mostly limited to rams.

Thank you!
:)

What do you like?

Oh that’s a tough one haha. I know for sure not Mbuna. Peacocks are pretty, but the tank is too small for them. I like lake Tang fish, but they’re so expensive! I have a 20 gallon QT tank that I think will be home to either a pair of Julis or a shellie trio. Though brichardi are usually not that much money.

I want something larger but not too large because I’d like a biotype tank if possible.

I believe I want to do a Lake Tanganyika tank.

What would you all suggest as a stocking? I wanted to do some rock work with dead live rock and some crushed coral substrate to help up the pH. The substrate color I have now in this tank is black. Would that be good or should I swap to natural sand? The back is all planted substrate so I have to take half of the substrate out anyways.

Back
Top Bottom