40 Gallon 1st timer setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmiller1986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All! Came across this site and I want to thank everyone for such great information you all have here.

I just got home with this tank. Got it on Craigslist for $75.00. It's just the 40 gallon tank and stand, nothing else. Wondering if this was a good deal and if I was better off getting a kit from my local Petsmart?? :confused:
I am totally new to aquariums but I want to set this up. I realize I'm going to need a filter and hood and lights. Where should I begin? I have a Petsmart down the road... I plan on going there later (after I clean this tank up). I plan on making this one a freshwater.

Any suggestions on exact products I should buy? Also any ideas on the costs?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 3n33of3lb5U55P15R5aa6501599884d951fe7.jpg
    3n33of3lb5U55P15R5aa6501599884d951fe7.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 7,025
I would go for a live planted aquarium. Look into Aquaclear filters. Like the 110. Go for T-5 lighting if you got the money.

Hello All! Came across this site and I want to thank everyone for such great information you all have here.

I just got home with this tank. Got it on Craigslist for $75.00. It's just the 40 gallon tank and stand, nothing else. Wondering if this was a good deal and if I was better off getting a kit from my local Petsmart?? :confused:
I am totally new to aquariums but I want to set this up. I realize I'm going to need a filter and hood and lights. Where should I begin? I have a Petsmart down the road... I plan on going there later (after I clean this tank up). I plan on making this one a freshwater.

Any suggestions on exact products I should buy? Also any ideas on the costs?
Thanks!

I would begin with searching for different types of freshwater tanks, as there are many different variations for what you can do. My suggestion would be a low light planted tank to start, and if you enjoy it you can upgrade the lighting down the road and introduce C02, it would give you a good starting point, and introduce you to the many variations of aquariums, not just keeping the fish :)

I think purchasing the filter should be the first step along with a API master freshwater test kit, as you need it to cycle the tank which will take 4-6 weeks, in that time you can save up for the light and hood, and do some research on what kind of tank you want to have as this will effect which lighting you buy.

For filters you can choose a hang on back (HOB), sponge, undergravel or canister which is external and the most expensive route. I prefer the canisters personally after using years of HOB, but they are much pricier, you also get what you pay for though IMO. You can search the internet about aquarium filter types for some good reads to help you make your decision with regard to budget, athetics, bioload (fish population) and purpose.

As for costs, its can be expensive and is usually not cheap, things add up quickly! but if you are setting up a tank on a budget it can be done. I just set up a 40 gallon and this is my list so far

41 gallon osaka tank/stand/T5HO lighting $319
Fluval 405 filter $179
Fluval E series digital heater $49
Fluorite Black sand substrate 4x15lb bags $80
API master test kit test kit $20
Python water changing system $60
Seachem ferts for plants $30

I still have plants and fish to add once my cycle is done, although you will probably be cheaper as I am up in Canada and our prices are higher here.

Miller Welcome to Aquarium Advice.
You need lighting... depending on what you plan on having in your tank you could be looking at $20 and up... as Big Dog said T5's is the way to go if you got the money and you want to have live plants (way more then $20). If you plan on having fake plants you don't need much light.
A heater $20-$60
A pump/filter $50-$250
and a test kit $10-$100 (depending on what all you want to be able to test)
The test kit can be bought in pieces too (one type of test at a time) but you are better off to buy a kit as it's cheaper and you are going to need at least the 4 tests that come in a small "Master" kit. Also I would stay away from the test strips and stick with the regular test kits.

Miller where you from?

Wow!! Thanks for all of the responses!!
I spent a good part of the day cleaning the tank and stand but then my wife had me running errands so I couldn't go to Petsmart. :(

So from here it looks like I need to decide on live plants or artifical.. I think I'll go with LIVE! :) With that said, tomorrow I will go and pick up a filter, lights, and a test kit.

So is the consensus the Aquaclear 110? I'm on Petsmart.com and it shows it as "500/100 For 60-110 gallons".. Is that the correct one? Is the 89.99 price pretty standard? Also, is this a relatively quiet filter?
(Hagen Aqua Clear Power Filters - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart)

For the test kit I'll pick up the API master test kit as I see it's highly recommended. Do I need water conditioner drops immediately or can I wait for that?

Finally for the light, which one is the best for plants? I see the T-5 being recommended.. Is there a certain lamp assembly I have to use for it or can I just go to Petsmart ask for a lamp for a 40 gallon tank and then buy the t-5 bulb? I don't want to go too "over the top" but I'd like some nice plants. Should I get a hood too or just a lamp assembly? Are there any benefits to a hood? Sorry for my ignorance..

I guess I might as well get substrate and gravel too. I was thinking black gravel to go with the black background... Is there specific sizing for gravel or is that up to me and my personal taste?

Thanks for all the help!! I will post photos as I go along until I'm totally setup!

:)

p.s. GREENMASTER, I'm in Miami Florida

Attachments

• IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 164
Also, since I'm in Florida, would I need a heater? Doesn't get too cold over here..

Unless you are having goldfish you should have some heat as your room temp I'm sure is lower then 74-78 degrees... (even if your room is set at 74 the evaporation will cause the tank to be a couple degrees cooler)
If you have the room temperature stable in the summer then you won't need a chiller. (as long as you don't get Metal Halide lighting)
Fish can handle a wide range of temperatures, but most houses don't keep the rooms warm enough to not need a heater.

Thanks for your response Greenmaster.. I hope my response to all of the responses I received earlier will get posted soon so that I can get more advice. In the meantime I'm reading through your 320 gallon creation. lol I'm on pg 9.

well i have to disagree with greenmaster.
i got worried because my tanks got down to 75 degrees this morning and that was incredible cold for me haha. but i live in orlando. most of the time i'm worried about it getting too hot inside the aquarium it normally coasts around 79 degrees. with you being in miami i would just keep a close eye on your aquarium when it gets cool, that's what i plan on doing and only buying a heater if i have too. too many problems with heaters

well i have to disagree with greenmaster.
i got worried because my tanks got down to 75 degrees this morning and that was incredible cold for me haha. but i live in orlando. most of the time i'm worried about it getting too hot inside the aquarium it normally coasts around 79 degrees. with you being in miami i would just keep a close eye on your aquarium when it gets cool, that's what i plan on doing and only buying a heater if i have too. too many problems with heaters
I'm not quite sure what you are disagreeing with... what is the ambient temperature of the room? You have your tanks in?

well i disagree that you can just assume that his room will get too cold for warm water fish. my tanks always been just on the far top end of the temperature rating. you got to remember florida is different than canada :p

Ya sorry even in hot weather I wouldn't have the AC set higher then 74... but I don't like being too hot.

Well I usually have my air on 76degrees and it runs pretty much all day long. It's getting cooler now (lower 80s) but it's still relatively hot..
I guess I'll post my initial response in parts since it hasn't been released by the mods and I really want some feedback :)

I wrote:

Wow!! Thanks for all of the responses!!
I spent a good part of the day cleaning the tank and stand but then my wife had me running errands so I couldn't go to Petsmart. :(

So from here it looks like I need to decide on live plants or artifical.. I think I'll go with LIVE! :) With that said, tomorrow I will go and pick up a filter, lights, and a test kit.

So is the consensus the Aquaclear 110? I'm on Petsmart.com and it shows it as "500/100 For 60-110 gallons".. Is that the correct one? Is the 89.99 price pretty standard? Also, is this a relatively quiet filter?

Part 2:

For the test kit I'll pick up the API master test kit as I see it's highly recommended. Do I need water conditioner drops immediately or can I wait for that?

Finally for the light, which one is the best for plants? I see the T-5 being recommended.. Is there a certain lamp assembly I have to use for it or can I just go to Petsmart ask for a lamp for a 40 gallon tank and then buy the t-5 bulb? I don't want to go too "over the top" but I'd like some nice plants. Should I get a hood too or just a lamp assembly? Are there any benefits to a hood? Sorry for my ignorance..

I guess I might as well get substrate and gravel too. I was thinking black gravel to go with the black background... Is there specific sizing for gravel or is that up to me and my personal taste?

Thanks for all the help!! I will post photos as I go along until I'm totally setup!

:)

p.s. GREENMASTER, I'm in Miami Florida

Attachments

• IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 80
A hood helps with keeping evaporation down. (keeps the tank warmer)
It also prevents gas exchange... many people with FW want to keep the gas exchange down in order to keep the CO2 at higher concentrations (to help the plants grow) they also sometimes have a DIY CO2 injector. Gravel it is mostly up to you unless you have specific fish that you want (some my desire a specific size/type although that is more a salt water thing)

Ok cool. So I just go to Petsmart and ask for a hood that will match my dimensions? Then get a bulb and put it in?

....So is the consensus the Aquaclear 110? I'm on Petsmart.com and it shows it as "500/100 For 60-110 gallons".. Is that the correct one? Is the 89.99 price pretty standard? Also, is this a relatively quiet filter?

That is the one people have been talking about I believe it is listed at 500/110...
I would probably also get something similar to Fluval BioMax Media - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart to help with the surface area for bacteria to live.

Back
Top Bottom