40 Gallon Breeder for Goldfish with 40 Gallon sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaiTank

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay this is what I have. I have a 40 gallon breeder into a 40 gallon sump courtesy of Petco $1 pre gallon sale. Going to do about 800 gph circulation to the sump which will be mechanically filtered and anacharis like crazy to filter and to alt. feed the goldfish for a snack during the day. I will also have a 70 gallon aqueon no carbon in the main tank.

Now I was thinking 3 fancy goldfish, a moor, a pearlscale, and a butterfly tail. Is this reasonable for the life of the fish?

Sorry those are the 3. It did sound like 6, but it would be 3.

Oh and I will br using RO/DI water. Any negatives to that?

Sorry those are the 3. It did sound like 6, but it would be 3.

Oh and I will br using RO/DI water. Any negatives to that?

Why do you want to use RO/DI water for?

If you have either ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or anything else a 50/50 mix will help bring it down depending on what your lvls are. If nothing is wrong with your tap water- use it and if you want to use RODI as a top off that's fine. RODI water has no trace mineral so straight 100%- no!

What size is the tank? Or is the tank 40 gallons and the sump 40 gallons?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank is 40 gallons

Sump is 40 gallons

No Trace Elements is a good point, but do goldfish need trace elements? I was just thinking since I have a RO/DI filter that I could use it, but better to use tap and adjust to remove chlorine.

Tank is 40 gallons

Sump is 40 gallons

No Trace Elements is a good point, but do goldfish need trace elements? I was just thinking since I have a RO/DI filter that I could use it, but better to use tap and adjust to remove chlorine.

Yes, they need it & Prime or whatever to remove chlorine or chloramine in your water. And best to have it coming from your tap water but only after you test your tap water.

Yes you need to buffer ro/di water. If you have a unit you can use it but you need to buy something to buffer it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would opt for a different fancy than the pearl with the other two. Pearls are delicate and can be difficult to keep as it is. I honestly would chose two and then decide in a year or so if there is room for a third. You will have the volume capacity of an 80g tank but the actual swimming space is still that of a 40g tank. Moors grow large- easily 8-10+inches. Mine are much larger than this. Your setup sounds great though and water quality should be wonderful!

You can use RO but it must be buffered and re-mineralized properly to be suitable for goldfish (or any other fish). Goldies do best in high ph, hard water. Straight RO is not suitable for use by itself. Hope this helps! :)

Back
Top Bottom