40 Gallon Breeder??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HopefulHobbiest said:
a nice size school would be nice, how many Rummy would you recommend?

i know nothing of tetras lol

I would recommend anywhere from 10-15 they school really tightly and are very active. I just put 12 in my 40B and they're the life of the tank. All my other fish seem to be a a lot more active with them around.

"The term dither fish refers to an arbitrary group of aquarium fish used by cichlid keeping aquarists to reduce innate timidity in some species of cichlids.[1]. Dither fish typically swim around the top of a tank and this behavior encourages more timid fish to relax and venture out more by reassuring them no predators are around. The technique relies on the ability of cichlids in an aquarium to use the behaviour of other fish species as a measure of environmental security.[2] Good dither fish are typically schooling species, such as some Danio species, barbs and some tetra species." -- Wikipedia

In terms of the tetras, a lot depends on your filtration and decor. If you have good filtration and a nice combination of heavily planted areas and open space I'd say you could probably do 8-10 rummy nose and 8-10 cardinals. For the GBRs, remember that your tank has to be very well established in order for them to do ok. Rummy nose and cardinals are also very sensitive when first acclimating them, but I've found that the most important thing for these sensitive sort of fish is to make sure you get them from a reputable breeder or LFS where you know they're being treated properly.

HopefulHobbiest said:
so just stick with the 4 GBR and skip the tetra?

Ideally, for breeding, youd only want a single pair in a tank since other fish will eat the fry. Ive had the best luck moving eggs/fry to a growout tank, that way I didn't have to keep the tank with just a pair. If you go that route you can also stock the tank with schoolers or whatever since you are not leaving the eggs/fry in there.

thank you azmodan, now i understand what you were saying lol.

Jeta, so if i'm understanding you correctly are you saying only 1 pair of GBR and some schooling fish(along with fry removal)?

That sounds good to me... I should be able to get that done very easily, I planned on having a heavily planted tank with open areas in the middle and in the corners with some slate or other flat rock in each corner. Would this work or is this overkill?

Good to hear that lol. I think I may just stick with the 4 GBR and like 10 cardinal tetra and stop the stocking there unless you suggest a different route

Back
Top Bottom