40 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello? After being long gone from the hobby I decided to come back, keeping my 55 gallon tank and building a new one, a 40 gallon goldfish tank
This is what I have planned for now
1 black moor
1 oranda
2-3 golden dojo loaches
2 bulldog plecos
Could I add anything else or just leave it like that?
Will be running 2 40 gallon filters
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thinking about adding a school of peppered cory's or some White Cloud Mountain minnows, or maybe both, what do you all think?

I'd be interested to see what others say as I plan on upgrading a goldfish tank this year :)

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

IMO that's a lot of bioload for one tank between goldfish and pleco's... Regular water changes will be mandatory for this tank. Goldfish are messy eaters and pleco's poop a lot.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Maybe just one bulldog pleco to lower the bioload a bit? And what's the GPH on those filters?

The gph is 250 for each filter, or 500 in total, but I can up it to 500 each if that would do any better

In my opinion, since you have about 12 times the gallons for your filtration, you're good in that area.

I'm down to perform bi-weekly water changes if necessary

Ok so plans right now are
1 oranda
1 black moor
3-4 dojo loaches
1 bulldog pleco
1 Borneo loach
3 Apple snails
Is adding another goldfish a possibility or just stick with two?

Tank conditions for a Borneo (or hillstream) loach and fancies are not compatible. I honestly would skip the loach and pleco and stick to two fancies. Perhaps a school of wcms or rosy reds if you add plants/protection for them.

Snails would be fine as long as you can figure out how to manage feeding them with piggy goldies. :)

Well unfortunately I can't do the 40 gallon and have to make it a 20 gallon long, obviously it won't be a goldfish tank anymore, will be starting a different thread about the 20 gallon, thanks for all the help!

Sorry it did not work out with the 40 Gallon. I also was concerned with the Bioload. I currently have 3 Comet Goldfish in a 75 Gallon with 2 Golden Dojo Loach... That is it... Nothing else is going in there.

I look forward to seeing what is in store for the 20 gallon.

Working on a very similar project

Hey all!

I am new to the thread, I know this has wrapped up a few days ago. BUT I am actually currently working on a nearly identical set up to Goldfish loach boy!

The plan is to expand my highly overstocked 10 gallon with the 50 gal Hextank I just got. There is a catch however. Living in an apartment and wanting to utilize my fish as much as possible. So I use them to grow food, through an aquaponic set up. Which works best with a fairly high bio-load.

I am looking for fish that are compatible with Fancy Goldfish (Black Moor,Fantail)

I currently have White Clouds, Apple Snails, and Ghost shrimp.

Looking to make it close to natural habitat. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom