40 gallon long mbuna cichlid stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon long tank (48x16x12") and want to keep mbuna cochlids. I have kept a lot of community fish in the past and want to try something different. My filter is rated at 200gph. Is this enough? Also, I don't know what fish to keep in my tank. I know that it should be slightly overstocked to reduce aggression but don't really know any cichlid species. What do you think I should get? I want quite a variety and some colourful fish like blue and yellow etc.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to mess up and buy a fish that will get too big! :thanks:

I'd probably stick to one species in that tank. Is there anything in particular you really like?

If you're using a hang on back filter, I'd recommend adding another one that is at least as powerful as what you have, if not a little more. What kind of filter do you have?

Its a submersible filter

Could I get more fish because my tank is 48" instead of 36" like a 40 breeder?

I probably wouldn't keep Mbuna in a 3' tank at all... 55 gallons is usually the minimum recommended size. You essentially have a short 55 gallon, so I'd probably just do one species in there due to the fact that there is slightly less space. Others may disagree though.

I do think you should add either a hang on back filter or a canister.

how many do you think I should get? Would 1 male and 3 females work?:)

That would work. Even a couple more female. My rusty are seriously aggressive toward each other but no one else

Back
Top Bottom