40 Gallon - Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nnacho528

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am thinking of getting a 40 gallon tank with:

2 Mollies
1 Swordtail
1 Pearl Gourami
8 Danios
8 Neon Tetras
4 H and T light tetras

Is this oberstocked or can I add some more? If so, I would like to add some cory catfish. How many could I fit?

If you build up to that stocking gradually, it is absolutely doable IMO. Even with 6-8 cories. Provided adequate PWCs, maintenance, filtration, etc.

IMO, that sounds ok. I would get 6 head and tail light tetras instead of 4 because they school better if there are 6 of them. :)
Depending on the filter you have, it would probaly be fine to add a few corys. :) Do you know what type you like? There are some awesome ones out there. Also, which danios were you thinking about? Most of the smaller danios would be fine, I am just curious.

I was thinking long finned danios, and I have no experience with bottom feeders so i dont know many types of cories, thx for all your suggesions so far!

Long-finned zebra danios?

I agree with the above posts. With adequate filtration and maintenance that stock is manageable.

I recommend brozne cories. I have six, and they're very personable and funny fish IMO :)

Are they shy? How do you make sure they get fed and how do you feed them?

Are we talking about the cories?

If so, they are FAR from shy. They simply swim around the tank in a big group, as a pair or trio, or simply by themselves. Usually they may get lazy and simply lax under the plants or under the driftwood. They will usually eat any scraps from the bottom, I feed mine sinking pellets.

I feed my corys sinking pellets as well. My albinos (same species as the bronze), peppered, and elengant corys are not shy at all. If you keep only 1 or 2, they will hide a bit, but when you have at least 4, they are great. :) They eat fallen flakes, blanched veggies, algae wafers, and sinking shrimp pellets. They will basicly eat anything, just make sure enough food reaches the bottom for them to scavenge.

Hey guys i saw a 55g on sale and thinking about it, what other fish could i get in addition to these (that are compatable) thx in advance!! :)

Honestly, there is whole world of fish that would be compatable. I would suggest raising the numbers of all your schoolers personally. Schools are much more impressive the larger they are.
You could also add a few more mollies are swords, or you could get a trio of pearl gouramis instead of just one.
Another option would be a keyhole, apisto, or ram cichlid. :)

Back
Top Bottom