400gal just wondering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so im really bored and sitting here thinking. thins will not happen in the house i live in right now but what IF. lol. Ok so if i had a 400gallon acrilyk (spelled wrong ik) with 2 FX5 filters what type and quantity of New world cichlids should i get. :blink: When i get my own house i will have my own fishroom. And i really like oscars so i would have at least 1 in this tank.

To broad of a question to get a reasonable answer. You can find new worlds that range from a couple inches to a couple feet in length (obviously you couldn't keep many of the 2'ers lol)

Ok ya i wasnt thinkin about getting rams or anything like that. Sorry i should have mentioned that. Im thinking about fish like dovii, oscars, terrors, manganese, jacks, cichlids like that

Well now you'll run into some serious husbandry work to get stuff that'll co exist in the same tank. With that aside though, if it were me (i stock on the light side) I would do no more then one large cichlid for every 50-75 gallons or 2 mediums. For fish like the dovii though I'd consider to be xlrg.

I'm not sure what you're looking for stocking wise. Doviis would take most of that space up. Females stay alot smaller than male Doviis.. If you could give us a suggested stocking of what you'd like, that'd help :)

Well he did say Oscar so if thats your must have cichlid then I'd definitely stay with low-medium aggression range (cichlid wise that is lol) which pretty much means no dovii, jag, or festae to name a few.

If anything would need a pair it would be the terrors, once everyone is full grown they'd be at a major disadvantage in size so a pair would even the odds.

You could always build a plywood tank. It would be much more easier on your wallet and they are extremely unique. That would make the dream a little bit closer to reality

Ok so 2 Oscars, 2 jags, i dont need the terrors i just cant think of another cichlid that would be okay with these picks. 1 female dovii but that can be removed if need be. And some sort of catfish that stays 3'-

Ya i was just looking into plywood tanks last night haha. But the floors in my current house can only go up to about 75gallons. But i could clean the basement and build one there.

You could turn the basement into a man cave and have that as the focal point in the room...that would be sweet haha

Ya it would be but my basement is only about 20' by 10' its pretty small and has the heater for the the house right in the middle. So when i get my own house i will either have a big basement to turn into a fishroom or a big extra room.

Ok so 2 Oscars, 2 jags, i dont need the terrors i just cant think of another cichlid that would be okay with these picks. 1 female dovii but that can be removed if need be. And some sort of catfish that stays 3'-

I female dovii usually only get around the size of a full grown oscar or a little bigger. As for catfish, maybe a shovel nose or 2 or something?

You could get peacock bass, snooks are great too and less aggressive compared with other cichlids of that size. Green terrors are always a beautiful edition. Red devils, flowerhorns, There are quite a few choices.You could also get an arowanna with a tank that size it would get pretty big and you usually see them kept with Oscar's and other large cichlids.

Ok i think i got it. 2 oscars at around 16''. Would 1 green and 1 red terror be good??? 1 female dovii at 20'' max. 2 jags. And a shovel nose catfish.

Back
Top Bottom