40g Breeder What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyCho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was given a used 40g breeder tank by a friend and still haven't figured out what to out in it. I was going to do A propagation tank for plants and then put a couple cool fish in who would love the dense vegetation but now I put my CO2 system on my 55g goldfish and loach tank. So I'm left with a tank and filter waiting for some fish. Was thinking of trying to do cichlids but I'm afraid this tank would be too small to do a worthwhile cichlid setup. What do you guys think? What would you do with this tank? I'm open to all ideas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any types in particular you'd recommend? I like the idea of doing a tank with none or very few plants and big rocks.

I think tanganyikans would be great for this tank! Especially the shellies

Neolamprologus multifasciatus and some julidichromis.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could try a dirted tank.

Do a few community species and one or two pairs of GBRs.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas! I would love to do a different tank however I want to make my first dirt tank planted and full of tannins. However GBRs were actually my first choice for this tank, however I would also like to out them in a well planted tank and I want maybe two plants maximum in this one, as planning right now. I think I am going to try a Tanganyika or Mbuna setup with just sand and large rocks. I will update if I make any more progress with the plan, but please keep pitching ideas!

If its Peacocks/Haps, get 10-12, If its Mbuna get like 8-10.

Peacocks and gaps have no business in a 40 gallon, especially not hose numbers...and ESPECIALLY not haps. I'm not even a fan of mbuna in a tank that size

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Peacocks and gaps have no business in a 40 gallon, especially not hose numbers...and ESPECIALLY not haps. I'm not even a fan of mbuna in a tank that size

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I looked into the care of all of them I was sad to see that none of any of those fish belonged in my 40b. I even managed to ask Steve Poland about the tank and recommended against either group. I have since started cycling it and I put sand in it. It's going to be a Tanganyika Only tank. Shell dwellers and a small group of small top swimmers that the guy at my favorite fish shop showed me. Can't remember what they're called though. Very excited about this tank and stocking it! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! If anyone has suggestions to go in the Tang setup feel free to post! Just remember how small the tank is haha

Back
Top Bottom