40g Planted Apistogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd fill the tank all the way up so that the filter can be used for water circulation (unless you have a powerhead that you can use).
I would get the CO2 going as soon as you can. The plants went from ample CO2 in the dry state to a much lower level now that they are submerged.
Digital scales can be purchased at several places such as Walmart, target, and staples. A few small funnels will come in handy. I've found plastic syringes in the baby care section of the grocery store; good for measuring out daily doses.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My lily pipes are creating too much flow for all the plants to stay rooted, any thoughts. I just had my canister filter flood my entire apartment...from a misplaced o ring

My lily pipes are creating too much flow for all the plants to stay rooted, any thoughts. I just had my canister filter flood my entire apartment...from a misplaced o ring

Idk, you may have to go back to the stock plumbing. Or use toothpicks to keep the plants in place until they get rooted.
That's stinks about the leak. That's my number one fear with canisters. You should probably place it in a bucket and monitor it just to be on the safe side.

Hey dude. Clear your PMs. Says you are full up. Pop into chat if you are on a computer and we can talk about your questions.

Plants are looking better! Two problems, there is a thick white film all over my driftwood? Is this a bacteria bloom? The fissidens Fontanus plants are starting to turn grey but then again there is some dark green on them:/. I will upload pictures tomorrow morning. I'm worried, I don't want my sparse money to be wasted on dying fissidens

The white stuff is a type of fungus feeding off of substances in the DW. In time it will die off and go away. You can also remove the dw, brush, scrub, or boil it and return it to the tank. I've done the latter and it did not come back.
Be patient with the moss. I've had moss recover from a 90% die off.

Thank you fresh, I'll let the fungus do its thing. That's positive to hear that moss comes back like that?I'm a little worried about it. Ziggy mentioned it being right in the direct light from the 24/7s. I just don't have anything to shade it.

Thank you fresh, I'll let the fungus do its thing. That's positive to hear that moss comes back like that?I'm a little worried about it. Ziggy mentioned it being right in the direct light from the 24/7s. I just don't have anything to shade it.

That was just what I saw with my bit of fissidens. I don't know if that is the true reason or not but I did notice an improvement when I moved it to my 54 which is deeper and doesn't have as intense light.

Update-
White biofilm is slowly going away but it is truly annoying. Plants look incredibly healthy. Installed a ball valve to control flow thanks to ziggy. The baby tears look amazing, no co2 or pps pro yet. The rotalA and ludwigia are growing like crazy, in 4 days they have 5in roots. Going to buy some cheep tweezers to help me plants.
Advice needed for plant orientation, i.e. What would look best. My fissidens are still grey:( that is my biggest worry.

Holy cow! No wonder that valve cost you so much. I wasn't expecting you to buy a brass one. I meant a PVC ball valve. That will work though.

Hey I am going to have plants to ship out to you on Monday next week.

Check your PM and text me I want to make sure I have the right info for you as well as what all you want. I can send you some pics of the plants.

I was wondering if brass safe was in constant contact with freshwater then realized all my plumbing is copper. I was expecting PVC as well.

?thanks guys. They actually had recalled my original ball valve due to lead contamination. The white film is still there, I might try buying a few nerite snails this weekend. Apparently Amazon is sending my electronic balance for my pps-pro finally I got a little cheap one and my set of planting tweezers. Yes, all the crapplily planted plants and the surface floaters will be organized. Other than that, everything needs to fill in. I need to lower the PH, it is at 7.0. Ammonia is really high from my ADA soil, but I don't have a siphon yet?. A couple more things on my shopping list to go.

What intensity are the running the lights at? Max? Custom? 24/7 mode?
How much CO2 is going in there in terms of bubbles per second and how is it being introduced? Reactor? Diffuser?
If you are running a lot of light in there and no fish are present then I would be cranking the CO2 (drop checker yellow).

What intensity are the running the lights at? Max? Custom? 24/7 mode?
How much CO2 is going in there in terms of bubbles per second and how is it being introduced? Reactor? Diffuser?
If you are running a lot of light in there and no fish are present then I would be cranking the CO2 (drop checker yellow).

+1 here. My 54 has nothing in it but plants and snails... I have the CO2 rolling in there! Crank it up!

Back
Top Bottom