42g - FO or FOWLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To me the two corals look like sponges. Does the worm on the glass move? The tube fan things are mini featherdusters. Im not sure but how big is the shrimp thing? It might be a pod of some sort.

The worm on the glass does move around a bit. But he wasn't there when I looked b4 work. There are a few worms, as I have seen some with different lenghts.

The shrimp things are no bigger than a pinkie nail.

I thought about Puffers, but I do want to turn this into a reef at some stage (within a year).

Another question:

- Should I invest in a wavemaker or a powerhead? (I currently have 1 powerhead)

I have seen a few on ebay, and I'm thinking of getting a wave maker to improve the flow of water over the LR.

**Also what L/h size will I need? I have found a cheap 3000L/h wavemaker and a 720L/h powerhead

Great description hey!

Well, it looks like all the shrimp have perished, all grey and decomposing like.
Getting the protein skimmer installed tomorrow. Will post some pics then.

I installed the protein skimmer earlier today. Its all working AFAIK (I have a few questions after I get some pics up tomorrow). The pump is really large - it looks bulky in the tank and is really loud. I'm thinking about getting a smaller quieter one.

I let it run for a few hours and the water has really cleared up. I noticed a lot more mini feather dusters have appeared (6 or more). I then looked really closely at the glass and I could see hundreds of tiny moving white dots. They were floating, moving along the glass and it almost looked like they were spawning out of the live rock. They are from 0.1mm to 2mm, and there are a few more white worms on the glass (1cm).

Is this an infestation?

Photos to come tomorrow

Cycle Ready?

Thanks melosu.

Ive been slack with photos - will get some.
Day 8 tests:

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm
SG - 1.023
pH - 8.3
Temp - 25 Celsius (77 F)

Went into the fish store to double check my results - same as above.
So from recommendation of the LFS, I'm going to do a 20-30% PWC. Thoughts?

They also said I was ready for the first set of fish - I want some Blue/Green Chromis, or Jade Damsels to start. They said 3-4 will be fine. Do you think this it's ready?:p:eek::D:confused:

Pics of protein skimmer & test results tomorrow.

I was told these are the same fish? (Blue/Green Chromis and Jade Damsels) I checked on live aquaria, and the jade damsel in the store looks identical to the blue green chromis on the website)

They said these fishlike to school.
How many do you think is OK to add? 3 or 4?

Cheers thominil

Ahh...my misunderstanding, sorry. Most fish that have "damsel" in their common name tend to be agressive. Chromis are fine and very peaceful little guys, and yes, they do like to be in groups.

OK, finally have some time to post the pics of my skimmer -

Looks really messy - will have to work out a way to clean it up.
Its also really loud too - so i might look at getting a smaller pump, and shortening the inlet hose so it doesn't stick so far down.

I took my water in to be tested and they had the same results as me:

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm
SG - 1.023
pH - 8.3
Temp - 25 Celsius (77 F)

They advised me to do a PWC - so i did 20% and this brought the nitrates back down to 2.5.

I went back the next day and bought 3 Blue Green Chromis, 2 astraea snail, 1 stromb snail. And decided to move the clown from the 10g.

I acclimated these with the air hose drip method for around an hour including floating the bag in the aquarium.

More pics in the next post

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom