45 Gallon stocking recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I am upgrading to a larger tank for my goldfish so that will leave me with an empty 45 gallon. Well no empty, I plan to move my community tank into it, but I'd love to try something new. Currently I have...

2 - platies (1-m, 1-f) I know I need at least 1 more female but I'm trying not to add anything til I know what I wanna do
1 - swordtail (male) Again, I know I need at least 2 females but...see previous explanation.
8 - neon tetras
3 - green fire tetras (started with 6, but...)

So, what could I do?

I'm open to moving the platies and swordtail to my daughters 10 gallon that only has 3 cories in it. But I do love the tetras.

I was toying with the thought throwing some German Rams in the mix, but I'm reading they may be beyond my level of expertise.
Would y'all agree?

How about barbs?

I thought about a pleco, perhaps the one smallest one out there? But I don't really have much algae. I guess I could supplement?

Or, I could just stay with what I know and get more of the same?

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi, I would recommend getting the female Platty and Swordtails for sure (Swordtails should not be housed in a 10 gallon as they get to big). But for the 45, put the Swordtails in there with the correct ratio please (6 in total, I would recommend). The Tetras should also go in there (get 7 more Neons), and then get maybe a Striped Raphael Catfish (excellent bottom feeders, they also look REALLY COOL!). That's what I would do.

Thank you for the recommendations. Question. You mentioned 6 swordtails. What male to female ratio do you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've got two bristle nose plecos that I only supplement like once every month or so and they do great with the algae that grows from the stock led lights.

Tiger barbs are my favorite fish I suggest a school and they're very active but can be fin nippers when feeding time comes they're like piranhas

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tiger Barbs are cool, THEY ARE SEMI-AGRESSAVE! I have seen them in chiclid tanks!!! You can't have shrimp or many smaller fish with them! But they are cool... (for the ratio 1 male to two females)

I would recommend a Bolivian ram instead of a German blue.

Bristle nose plecos would likely do well in there. I would recommend only one though.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

+1^

Although I keep mine with harlequin Rasboras and they do great and any aggression is usually amongst themselves but for some reason only in the early morning

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you do want barbs, cherries are the best option in my opinion.

Do you have sand or gravel substrate?

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I have gravel. I love the look of the green tiger barbs.

How about a clown Pleco? LFS is recommending them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Clown plec would be fine. Just make sure you have some wood in your tank.

I wouldn't do tiger barbs. They are gonna bully most of your fish.

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom