46 Gallon Bow Front Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drake

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 46 gallon bow front tank that has been going for about a month and a half. I am using crushed coral for the gravel and it has been very nice. For the filtration I have a H.O.T Magnum that hangs on the back and an undergravel filter with two power heads. I was wondering what suggestions or questions anyone may have. Thanks

Welcome to AA, Drake!

Crushed coral will raise the water's hardness and pH. It's a good substrate for African Rift Lake cichlids. If you decide to stock with these fish, be warned that they love to dig, and may render your undergravel filter useless.

Are you currently cycling the tank? Be sure to check out the articles section here - there's lots of information about the nitrogen cycle.

I have had African cichlids in a 55 gallon before and they have never dug in the gravel.

I have the same tank as you! Bought used (feel though I got ripped off) for $400 with the tank, stand, eheim pro 2, and heater. I put about 15lb crushed coral and 35lb mixed gravel with slated rocks and a piece of malaysian driftwood. I currently have a Penguin 330 on the way with an assortment of plastic plant decorations. I'm looking to stock it with 2 electric blue jacks (2.5 inch) and mpimbwe frontosa fry (1 inch). I know this mix is risky, but I've been hearing that blue jacks are relatively less tame and may get along with frontosas who are slightly larger. My pH is 7.5 and gH is 8. Any advice or suggestions.

p.s. i have not purchased any fish yet, i'm still deciding whether to do blue jack/frontosa mix or go strictly tanganyikan.

Question: Should I go with the 1 inch frontosa fry or buy a 5inch larger male and female?

Choose on what you like the best. You really never know what will happen when you try to put other species together especially when its cichlids. I have kept clown knifefish, African and South American cichlids in one tank before and they all got along fine. For feeding them the best thing you can do is try to give them the widest variety of food you can. Some food items would include blood worms, brine shrimp, krill, many other types of food and of course pellets.

I have a 46 gallon bow front tank that has been going for about a month and a half. I am using crushed coral for the gravel and it has been very nice. For the filtration I have a H.O.T Magnum that hangs on the back and an undergravel filter with two power heads. I was wondering what suggestions or questions anyone may have. Thanks

I know it has been awhile since you posted, but where did you get the under gravel filter for this tank. I just got a similar tank and can't find bowfront-shaped UGFs.

Thank you.

2 goldfish, going on 4 inches and too big for their current tank. Also want to add a Bristlenose Pleco once in the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom