46 gallon bowfront, hopeful shell dweller!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tx Oscar Lover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 46 gallon oceanic bow front aquarium full of some of my favorite fish. My oscars :). I have two of them. But I am currently upgrading them to a 175 gallon bow front. (Build in progress). But now that I'll have this 46 gallon empty, I've discovered the shell dweller cichlid :) & I love the way they move & interact & chill in the shells, idk. They look awesome, it seems like they prefer longer shallower tanks? If that's true, then my 46 gallon wouldn't be very good for it. But I'd like some feedback. I really want to get these guys! I will get the sand, the shells, a few fake plants, (I know they dig & move everything around). But I will definitely take care of them. :). Thanks!

Attachments

• image-4122567170.jpg
    image-4122567170.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 106
You could do quite a lot of shell dwellers in that size tank but I dont think i would do that. My Neolamprologus Multifasciatus never realy go more that 6" off the bottom so the upper part of the tank would be empty. They realy should not have tank mates either IMO. I would consider dwarf cichlids But again thats just me. These would look cool but I know nothing about them and cant find much info on them Google Image Result for http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq114/crazygregg01/Compressiceps017.jpg
also thecommunitycichlid keeps a lot of dwarfs he may have some ideas for you.

You could do quite a lot of shell dwellers in that size tank but I dont think i would do that. My Neolamprologus Multifasciatus never realy go more that 6" off the bottom so the upper part of the tank would be empty. They realy should not have tank mates either IMO. I would consider dwarf cichlids But again thats just me. These would look cool but I know nothing about them and cant find much info on them Google Image Result for http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq114/crazygregg01/Compressiceps017.jpg
also thecommunitycichlid keeps a lot of dwarfs he may have some ideas for you.

Hmm, so I couldn't possibly put anything else in there for the top part of the tank? I'd really like to get them.

I also have a 10 gallon tank. But I just hate how small it is, I wouldn't want to put them in something that small. :/.

Well most would say no because they are very protective of their colony and will nip or kill any fish their size that comes into it. Mine are in a 15 not much larger than a 10. I have 4 and 3 fry right now. at one time i had 2 temp in a 75 with 6" angels and they shredded the angels fins in 2 days. They are small but will defend their colony just like the large cichlids and have no fear when it comes to that.

Also I only have experience with the multis. there are other shell dwellers that might be ok with tank mates.

Well most would say no because they are very protective of their colony and will nip or kill any fish their size that comes into it. Mine are in a 15 not much larger than a 10. I have 4 and 3 fry right now. at one time i had 2 temp in a 75 with 6" angels and they shredded the angels fins in 2 days. They are small but will defend their colony just like the large cichlids and have no fear when it comes to that.

Hmm, well they seem like really interesting fish. Maybe I wouldn't mind having an empty top of the tank if the bottom is full of fun interesting fish. Right? :). I'm sure I could have a nice size family too.

I didn't see it no. But I PM'd him. So hopefully I get a response.

This is the kind I was looking into (Neolamprologus multifasciatus). They seem to be the friendliest of the species.

Although I did respond through the pm, figured I'd comment on here too. Multis, while they are one of the calmer Shellie's, are still little devils. Once they have fry to protect, nothing gets by their shells. They're mean for their size. They don't do tank mates well in a smaller sized aquarium, and a busy bottom of the aquarium can result in issues with these guys

I came up with another idea for the 46 bowfront that I think I'm going to stick with. What if I filled it up with sand, sloped the back about a foot higher, (I know they move stuff around so idk how well this will work) but then add a piece of driftwood, & a few larger pieces of rock, put shells all over the driftwood, & the rock? (Could I possibly glue or tie them to the wood?). I know the top wouldn't be as occupied but I still want these guys, & I want them to be in a big tank. Lol.

Now I'm not sure if you can mix species, or not. But these are the two that I liked, & that a LfS has for sale.

Lamprologus' ocellatus (Gold), & Lamprologus' brevis (Katabe)

I would say it won't work. Let me go snap a picture of what my tank looks like right now and I'll show you why lol several species like to move their shells around too, plus driftwood will lower (not greatly, but still) the pH of the water and you want it at 8.0 or higher if possible.

As for mixing species, I would say no. I've heard that they can be pretty territorial towards other species, and you'll basically have a gang war lol

Okay, so from your point of view. Tell me exactly what you would do to this tank to make it compatible?

I really want these guys. I'll change up anything in my ideas, my tank, to have them,

One species is fine with me :). I also liked the ones with the big male & small females.

Okay, so from your point of view. Tell me exactly what you would do to this tank to make it compatible?

I really want these guys. I'll change up anything in my ideas, my tank, to have them,

One species is fine with me :). I also liked the ones with the big male & small females.

Here's pictures, just turned the lights on so my multis are all asleep

image-2720547110.jpg

image-918247649.jpg

image-2864746678.jpg

image-2970420101.jpg

As for tank mates, I would do the one species of Shellie, one species of rock dweller (like julidochromis), and for top movement, maybe cyprichromis leptosoma (although a 46 bow Is a bit tight for cyps), just gotta remember that tangs aren't gonna be the cheapest fish. Cyps can cost upwards of $12 each, shellies (and the rarer the species, the greater the value) start around $5 ea. and Julies start around $7. Not SUPER expensive, but not cheap. Smaller tang tanks tend to be busy on the bottom mostly

Here's pictures, just turned the lights on so my multis are all asleep

As for tank mates, I would do the one species of Shellie, one species of rock dweller (like julidochromis), and for top movement, maybe cyprichromis leptosoma (although a 46 bow Is a bit tight for cyps), just gotta remember that tangs aren't gonna be the cheapest fish. Cyps can cost upwards of $12 each, shellies (and the rarer the species, the greater the value) start around $5 ea. and Julies start around $7. Not SUPER expensive, but not cheap. Smaller tang tanks tend to be busy on the bottom mostly

Price won't be an issue. These fish are interesting & fun to me! :).

I don't necessarily need tank mates if they don't need them. They will do just fine for me. But a rock dweller I would get if suitable.
& like I said I don't need a busy top, if they just stay towards the bottom that's fine.

Do you know the species of Shellie where the doesn't go inside the shell? He is bigger? I saw it on a YouTube video.

& I like your tank setup :). 20 gallons?

'Lamprologus' callipterus

Okay, I googled it. It says it's a poor aquarium fish on one site, & the other site gave me information on raising them.

What makes this species bad? I checked, the LFS sells these as well. Theses ones are $19 a piece. So if I buy 1 male, 2 females, they will breed right?

Also, if they can't, say I buy 2 now, could I introduce 2 later with the other females or male being violent to it?

My guess would be that there breeding habits are so complex that it's incredibly hard to replicate in a home aquarium. I would stick with the easier species since it's your first time around with shellies, like multis, brevis, ocellatus, etc.

From my experience with multis, newcomers are NOT welcome at all. My 4 killed a female I tried to add by not letting her into any shells, and when she finally hid inside a shell, they wouldn't let her out. She went so deep inside the shell, she got stuck and died

My guess would be that there breeding habits are so complex that it's incredibly hard to replicate in a home aquarium. I would stick with the easier species since it's your first time around with shellies, like multis, brevis, ocellatus, etc.

From my experience with multis, newcomers are NOT welcome at all. My 4 killed a female I tried to add by not letting her into any shells, and when she finally hid inside a shell, they wouldn't let her out. She went so deep inside the shell, she got stuck and died

Okay, I will pick one of those. Like I said, I won't be picky. I' was just asking :). & so I'll get them all at once then.

I like the brevis mtoto zebra. They are $9 each. How many males & females should I get?

Awww :/ that sounds sad. Poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom