46 gallon bowfront, hopeful shell dweller!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From my experience with multis, newcomers are NOT welcome at all. My 4 killed a female I tried to add by not letting her into any shells, and when she finally hid inside a shell, they wouldn't let her out. She went so deep inside the shell, she got stuck and died

I had the same experience with my multis but they will protect the young and the colony will grow. 1 thing tho when you go to the lfs there will most likely be no shells in the tank because once they have shells the only way i know to take the shelly's out is to use a container lower it into the tank and move the shell into it. This way there will not be an air pocket in the shell. When ever you put a net or anything in the tank they will shoot into a shell.

I believe these are pair bonders, rather than harem breeders, like multies. Although expensive, the best way to do it is to buy several juveniles (like 10) and let them all pair off, then sell of the stragglers, or let them breed and populate the colony and let the offspring pair with the lone wolf(ves) (or she wolf[ves])

I believe these are pair bonders, rather than harem breeders, like multies. Although expensive, the best way to do it is to buy several juveniles (like 10) and let them all pair off, then sell of the stragglers, or let them breed and populate the colony and let the offspring pair with the lone wolf(ves) (or she wolf[ves])

Are you talking about the mtoto zebra here?

So set up shells in several different locations, with say rocks & caves blocking the views from the other shells? Or should I just put them in different spots but just out in the open?

& 10? Could I get away with maybe 7-8? Or should I go ahead & do 10?

I feel like I'm learning more. Lol. I like these fish. I keep watching youtube videos of them.

Just throw the shells all over, just have the opening up, they'll define their own territories and dig so the shells will fall into groups

7-8 would be fine

Just throw the shells all over, just have the opening up, they'll define their own territories and dig so the shells will fall into groups

7-8 would be fine

Okay! I can do that. But what do you mean by "have the opening up"? Like don't have anything impacting there ability to get to the top?

Like the opening to the shell facing toward the top of the tank

Oh okay, yeah I can do that to! Well I think it's settled then, I'm going to get brevis mtoto zebra :). 8 of them. I just have to wait for my 175 gallon bowfront to get running & then move my Oscars there, then I'll be able to get these guys!

Back
Top Bottom