4ft 4 bulb t5 ho fixture and glossostigma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would a four bulb,4ft fixture be sufficient to grow glosso in a 55 gallon tank? I'd like the carpet effect. Ive seen that four bulbs is considered too much light on the chart I've seen floating around the site but I have my doubts on the depth of a 55. With high light plant none the less. Looking for advice from the vets on this one. Co2 is in the near future, not starting the tanks with it. Black blasting sand is the substrate. Osmocote imbedded in the sand. I wrap a scoop of it in coffee filter paper and shove it in there. Thanks for any input.

Honestly, and Im in the minority here, but you might consider doing only two bulbs to start out with, and then using more bulbs if you feel like you need more light. Adding a ton of light and running into problems is a lot more effort than only having subpar growth and wanting to up the growth.

Also, any particular reason you're wanting to go with glosso?

The only reason I want glosso is I I have it in another tank. I got it for free. I also have Pygmy chain sword and Brazilian micro sword. Those two where my last two plant buys and I don't know their growth patterns yet. It might be any of the three. I don't want to do DIY co2 with a 55 because I had bad luck with my 20 gallon standard. I've only had good luck with my 5 gallon with DIY co2. Once I get it right on the 20 I'll move up to the 55 trial and error. I might just try two bulbs to start. Will an oddysea fixture run with only two bulbs connected? Aquachem you really don't like glosso, do you?

I got my fixture at fishneedit.com. They have good fixtures for a great price. A two bulb fixture probably is a better choice... Too much light and not enough Co2 can cause a giant algae bloom.

Glosso can be messy, weedy, difficult to tame, and just a general pain. I've never had much luck with it, and there are so many other 'nice' foregrounds.

aqua_chem said:
Glosso can be messy, weedy, difficult to tame, and just a general pain. I've never had much luck with it, and there are so many other 'nice' foregrounds.

I wanna see how this Brazilian micro sword grows out, then maybe that'll be my goto. I got my fixture off of eBay, don't know how it'll function.

Just got my lights! Two bulbs per power supply. I'll try that until I fill up the tank with plants.

Back
Top Bottom