4g Nano Reef (WIP)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremy S.

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently set up a 4g nano tank for my frags to grow in. Only purchase so far has been the T5 lights for it. Still letting it cycle for now!

Attachments

• image-2930524545.jpg
    image-2930524545.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 73
Trick question really. There aren't really any "great" nano skimmers for a tank that size. Most of them are hang on back and will skim, but not to the levels an external or in sump design will. Protein skimmers really are most useful in systems with a high bioload where there is a lot of particles in the water that needs to be skimmed.

If you are doing a small tank like this for frag growth, I would keep just a barebones CUC in there, so you have the least amount of waste in the water column, and subsequently the least chance of drastic level changes. With a tank that size you already are going to be fighting against evaporation, temp and pH swings. If you could drill or plump it to a decent sized sump and get some other equipment in there, smaller tanks can make great grow out systems because they are so easy and cost effective to light.

Tank looks good though! Frag tanks are always my favorite. Coral is amazing.

Ah thanks for the info. I had a feeling a skimmer might not be the best option out there. I'm definitely going to be investing in a good CUC once everything's cycled.

Back
Top Bottom