5.5 gallon in my toddler's room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank God! I was hoping I didn't have to do anything too complicated yet. Those banana plants look so cool! I might look into that, too.

His little tank is near a window and so now I'm worried about algae. I'll try to research the best way to control that without killing everything else off.

Depending on the type of algae and plants you have seachems flourish excel is good at combating some algae. It is the liquid carbon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And you don't really have to do co2 until you get to the upper end of medium light and high light. The lower light and even lower medium would be ok with excel (liquid carbon)

My tank is medium light and I use the liquid and everything is doing fine. Even then the co2 isn't really required until high light tanks -it just maximizes and speeds up growth

OK, awesome. Thank you! I think I will leave it alone for now but at the first sign of it I will have a look at some excel. Thank you :) I have Flourish...but i'm not sure if it's excel. I'm guessing not :) I think it's just the nutrients.

Thank God! I was hoping I didn't have to do anything too complicated yet. Those banana plants look so cool! I might look into that, too.

His little tank is near a window and so now I'm worried about algae. I'll try to research the best way to control that without killing everything else off.

Another option which may keep you from having to add too many extras into the tank is to move the tank out of direct light, or just cut down on how long you leave the artificial lights on. Algae is dependent on light, so not giving it an abundant food source will help keep it from going crazy.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Moving it isn't really an option for us but we can limit the light with his wooden blinds. That shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ta-daa! I always prefer a low tech solution. They're usually cheaper, lol. And putting the hood light on a timer so that it's a consistent light source will help your future tank inhabitants as well. I have an extra if you'd like to have it!

? Diana Lee ?

You can always tape construction paper or something on the side facing the window (if it is the side and won't block the whole front) to block some of the light too so you can still have some light jn the room

Ta-daa! I always prefer a low tech solution. They're usually cheaper, lol. And putting the hood light on a timer so that it's a consistent light source will help your future tank inhabitants as well. I have an extra if you'd like to have it!

? Diana Lee ?

What! That would be awesome!!! Would love to have it. Especially 'cause it's in his room.

You can always tape construction paper or something on the side facing the window (if it is the side and won't block the whole front) to block some of the light too so you can still have some light jn the room

ooHhhh that's clever! And he would enjoy coloring it, too!

So...should I be putting anything fancy in my filter other than the sponges that came with it? I have an Azoo Palm filter...

So...should I be putting anything fancy in my filter other than the sponges that came with it? I have an Azoo Palm filter...

Nothing fancy. Once you're adding fish, perhaps some Seachem Purigen in a bag in the filter. It just keeps nitrites and ammonia in check and lasts for about 6 months or so. I also use a 50 micron felt 1/8" filter piece to get crystalline water. But, again, none of that is absolutely required for tank health.

? Diana Lee ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Tropical Community
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

If that filter has a carbon packet (not too familiar with it) if you are adding plants you might want to take that out and replace it with the purigen

The carbon can take out some of the nutrients a plant needs

Thanks y'all! I don't even know what a carbon piece looks like, but I can tell you that the sponge (and filter) looks like this:
FilterProfileAzooPalm1.jpg

I personally like african dwarf frogs. but it also depends on how active you want the aquatic pet. and an afrian dwarf frog can live in 2gal for one frog so you can get two frogs. These frogs are fully aquatic and are a little more than $3 at petsmat!
Hope this helped!

Luv4bettas

What's really funny is that I bought all of this stuff when I was pregnant with Loxley and did some research. I'm looking in my little fish closet and I bought some aquaclear Foam which apparently would increase the surface area the BB had to live on in the filter.

It looks like I was on the right path and then just got too pregnant to care anymore or had the baby or something. lol! I bet if I had kept going I would have arrived at actually using the new Azoo filter and the media I bought for it.

I personally like african dwarf frogs. but it also depends on how active you want the aquatic pet. and an afrian dwarf frog can live in 2gal for one frog so you can get two frogs. These frogs are fully aquatic and are a little more than $3 at petsmat!
Hope this helped!

Luv4bettas

That's great! They sound awesome. I just don't want them to eat my little shrimp. I really want a couple of shrimp. lol! And I don't want them to eat my endlers, either!

SO STOKED! Our tank is clear again and ammonia is starting to drop! I wasn't expecting it to stop dropping so early. I am SO excited!!! Of course, no nitrites yet but it sounds like we're doing something right. Woohooo!!!

Yay!! Keep it up!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Tropical Community
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

just thought I'd update...my ammonia gets down to about 2, I dose it back up to 4. No joy in nitrites. We are on Day 6 trying to stay patient. The good news is my Java Fern is sproutin' babies! So cute. My poor little boy is under the weather today so he hasn't been able to enjoy seeing the new plant babies.

Happy Superbowl Day :)

Back
Top Bottom