5 fish dead in as many days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Geez, that's a lot of Qs!!

1~female betta, 2 cory cats, a khuli loach and a small ram
NOTHING is wrong with the fish that I haev seen.
2~ ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate (the test kit is MIA)
temp 80F
pH 7.6
3~50 gal set up since February of this year
4~Fluval 304
5~9 assorted Cory Cats, 2 Rubber Lip Plecos, white spotted Bristle Nose pleco, Clown Pleco, 2 Bolivian Rams, 9 white clouds, 12 Kuhli Loaches, 4 Silver-tip Tetras, 5 Serpae Tetras, 4 Apistos, 2 yo-yo loaches--Botia almorhae, and 4 assorted tetras (grand total is 55 fish—it’s one fish per gal, right? :wink:) The plecos, rams and Apistos are all young.
6~Last weekend 25%
7~The majority of the fish have been to this tank in February '04. The ram and khuli loach have been with me since Feb ’03, the betta was with me for a couple of months and I have no idea about the cories—anywhere from 8 months to 1 ½ years.
8~The new additions are the white clouds, after QTing for 2 weeks and some LFS bought bog wood (soaked it first).

Looks that way when you add it up like that :oops:
The water parameters are fine, WHAT’S WRONG WITH MY FISH?

I called my fav LFS guy and he said it was probably bacterial. Have you seen any red spots of infection? Any red around the fins?

Did I miss something, or is it that from time to time you just like corresponding with folks that make sense? :lol:

Or is this intended to show folks asking for help that they should try to do so with as much helpful info as possible?

Okay, I came up with two possibilities from Aquatronics:
The second one and the eighth one.

I'm done talking to myself, I need input now!

It looks like I need to dose my entire tank :cry: What med(s) do you think I should use?

Or is this intended to show folks asking for help that they should try to do so with as much helpful info as possible?
We are coming up with a list for members to answer about ill fish and I am using my poor tank as an example. I really have lost 5 fish :bawl:

Menagerie, I'm sure you don't have a "poor tank," just ran into some nasty luck. I wish I could help you out, but I don't know very much about fish illnesses (although I do have a bottle of that ick stuff just in case!)

My input is that this is the most interesting conversation I've ever seen you have with yourself.

Sometimes you need to just talk things out :D

Will someone with some knowledge of odd fish illnesses please help!

Well this is the most interesting thread I have read in a long time, as well, and Menagerie, you really know how to ask the hard questions! Seems like you've got this problem in hand, so I guess I'll be on my way.... Just Kidding!!

I am very hesitant for you to treat with meds when the remaining fish don't appear ill, but I'm with you on the Aquatronics #8, hexamit. Otherwise you could be dealing with something in the food (do you feed live anything?) or an overall change in tap water from the treatment plant, but variations in tap water usually do not result in fish loss. Is there any remote possibility that you failed to dechlor the last time you did a water change?

I suppose I would go ahead and treat for hexamit, up the water changes and watch everyone like a hawk. The problem here is that there might be more fish losses related to biofilter loss, but you don't want to ignore warning signs of a mass die off.

What if you rented (don't think you own one?) a UV filter to possibly kill off anything ugly? Would this work for hexamit if it is not rampant?

Get back to me, Menagerie, or I'll discuss it with Menagerie also! :wink:

(do you feed live anything?)
No, well at least not ever in this tank.

Is there any remote possibility that you failed to dechlor the last time you did a water change?
Maybe. I will do a PWC tonight and make sure the dechlor is added. I just got new dechlor and used it in all my tanks. I still use the bucket method of changing water, so the dechlor bottle sits near me while I fill the buckets.

What if you rented (don't think you own one?) a UV filter to possibly kill off anything ugly? Would this work for hexamit if it is not rampant?
I'll look into it if needed.

Menagerie said:
We are coming up with a list for members to answer about ill fish and I am using my poor tank as an example. I really have lost 5 fish :bawl:

Sorry to hear it, Menagerie... for what its worth, the Jungle Fungus Clear helped my polit make it through the mess I was having in my cichlid tank (I lost three other cichlids first, though).

I sure wish I could help. :(

I did a PWC of about 25% water. All of the fish are living--I took out the wood and the castle to check on everyone. Knowing that there is no decomposing body made me feel better and I put back the decor. I made sure to add dechlor and for added security, I put lots of it on my jeans :( I hope my jeans make it! :?

Hi Menagerie,
I hope things get better for you! I thought of a few things -- did you change brands of dechlorinator? Maybe it didn't mix well with the old brand already in the tank. I realize this is very unlikely, though.

How did the white clouds come through QT? Do they still look ok?

I agree with the Hexamit treatment too, since there seem to be no signs of anything bacterial.

Back
Top Bottom