5 gal Betta Tank stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a new tank. Planned on only 1 Betta, but wondering if I could eventually add another 1-2 fish or snails, etc to the tank. It's just 5 gallons so tight space. Wondering what your thoughts are? Added pic for fun. :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391518290.701268.jpg

Bettas are very hit-and-miss in communities. Some are murderous, others are more docile and allow for tankmates. You could maybe have a snail or some shrimp, but don't be surprised if the betta lashes out.

You could add a single beta with maybe a Netrite snail or 5-6 ghost shrimp

Bettas are very hit-and-miss in communities. Some are murderous, others are more docile and allow for tankmates. You could maybe have a snail or some shrimp, but don't be surprised if the betta lashes out.

Yeah, get 1-2 ghost shrimp

As stated above, hit and miss. Even when all has been harmonious in a tank, even for months, one morning you could wake up to disappeared shrimp, fish snails or what have you. Some times they go crazy on tank mates for no apparent reason. Have heard this same story time and time again, and had my Ghosties disappear too, before I was here at AA.

The Ghost shrimp are a healthy snack for the Betta so it won't hurt him, but it could make you sad. I personally love shrimp as aquatic pets, but it is also ok to me if some become part of the food chain. Not that I prefer critters I think of as pets to be eaten by other pets :nono:. Just so you can be mentally prepared, and or prepare the kids if any as to the process of the food chain.

I would try a few Ramshorn snails or one Mystery snail. I would say several Mystery snails because they are fun to watch. BUT if one very large grown up one dies and you don't notice, it can really foul your water, and endanger your fish, and if several die at the same time, let's say a strange water pH change or something, BIG problem. I have had this happen. If you are planning for a larger tank in the next 6 months or so, then you could start out raising some baby Mystery snails and move them to the new tank later.

Some Bettas hate anything in their space. Even a little snail!

I must be lucky, I have always had the best luck with Bettas being great tank mates. The only time I had an issue was when my betta was forced to home with an African cichlid. The betta died in a matter of days. Otherwise they've been pretty easy going fish for me. This is the Betta tank, no plans to rehome. Just wondering if anything could go along with it in such a small space. I'm ok with a one fish tank though. I like the idea of the ghost shrimp. They are so cool. But it's always good to prepare the kids for the worst. Thanks!

As stated above, hit and miss. Even when all has been harmonious in a tank, even for months, one morning you could wake up to disappeared shrimp, fish snails or what have you. Some times they go crazy on tank mates for no apparent reason. Have heard this same story time and time again, and had my Ghosties disappear too, before I was here at AA.

The Ghost shrimp are a healthy snack for the Betta so it won't hurt him, but it could make you sad. I personally love shrimp as aquatic pets, but it is also ok to me if some become part of the food chain. Not that I prefer critters I think of as pets to be eaten by other pets :nono:. Just so you can be mentally prepared, and or prepare the kids if any as to the process of the food chain.

I would try a few Ramshorn snails or one Mystery snail. I would say several Mystery snails because they are fun to watch. BUT if one very large grown up one dies and you don't notice, it can really foul your water, and endanger your fish, and if several die at the same time, let's say a strange water pH change or something, BIG problem. I have had this happen. If you are planning for a larger tank in the next 6 months or so, then you could start out raising some baby Mystery snails and move them to the new tank later.

Good point

Yup, I had a betta just like that. Wouldn't leave the dang snail alone, kept eating its antennas. I also had a different betta, that was happy in a community tank. It all depends on the personality of the specific fish, nothing you can really control.

Ot, but where did you get that unicorn decoration?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

PetSmart. They were on sale. This is my daughters tank. Her Bettas name is Elsa. :)

I have my betta in a 3.5 gallon tank with 5 zebra danios. The betta was a little irritated by them at first, but after a day or two he stopped chasing them, and they have all lived happily together for months.

I have my betta in a 3.5 gallon tank with 5 zebra danios. The betta was a little irritated by them at first, but after a day or two he stopped chasing them, and they have all lived happily together for months.

A 3.5g tank is only suitable for a single betta. Danio's are active fish that need a much larger tank. I strongly suggest upgrading to a larger tank or rehome the danio's.

OP there are some nicely colored/patterned nerite snails that usually do quite well even with aggressive betta as nertie snails do not have the long waving antennas that mystery and ramshorn snails have. I have a very aggressive betta that will only leave nerite snails alone.

Back
Top Bottom