5 GAL REFUGIUM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jann Josh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im going so setup my extra 5 gal as a refugium. It will hold macro algae specially caulpera. It will also be a haven for copepods to multiply so that I get a green mandarin in the future. My question are:

1. Cauplera - do i need to get the root or could I just get some parts of the plants for it to survive. Its a grape caulpera. Are they any good?
2. How can I introduce copepods to my refugium? Should I buy a few lbs of LR and LS and start from there?

Advices will be much aprreciated... :)
[/img]

I just started a caulerpa sump about two months ago. The LFS just ripped chunks of it right out and bagged it and I just tossed it in there and it took hold. As far as pods, there should be tons living in the caulerpa, my sump glass is now totally covered in pods, worms, tiny starfish etc, which hitchhiked in on the caulerpa. And the stuff is great, I went from an average Nitrate of 10-15ppm, yeah I know not good, and now I can't even get a reading on the Nitrate test kit. :D

Thats good news, I was hoping of getting the same result since I still don't have a skimmer. How big is your refugium? Will my 5 gals be big enough for these plant? Do I still have to put on LR on my fuge. Thank for the advice...I'll be starting my fuge this weekend.

My fuge/sump is a 20 gallon tall broken up into four sections. Since the pics in my gallery were taken I have added bio balls to the first compartment and am working on a DIY skimmer for the second. Also the caulerpa has literally taken over the whole main compatment. I do run a skimmer 24/7 though, I think it's a good idea after seeing the crud that regularly comes out of it. 5 gal may be a little small though, especially if you want to put all your mechanicals in it like heater, bio balls, skimmer etc. Just a thought.

Well I found some plans at Wet Web Media for a counter current skimmer, though it says they are a little hard to fine tune. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/diyskimmer.htm
This is the basic idea though, I'm running a skilter now and I hate it. Too many bubbles, it's in the main display. I'm definitely open to ideas though, I've purchased the parts but haven't begun assembly.

if you like the acua c's check this one out.
i heard the spray injection is not that good for the fuge stuff. but nobody seams to know why.

Jann Josh, check out chaeto macro algae also, also called brillo pad. Doesn't need as much light and doesn't go asexual. I think Tangs and angels love that stuff too.

Check out any prefilters on you system. Mine are usually full of pods. I squeeze'm into a bucket of water, net'm out, and throw them into the fuge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom