5 gal without filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NadiaG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 5gal oval tank that is not set up. I keep it in case a need to set up a QT tank for sick fish or new additions.

I was thinking to start running it but not sure how to maintain it clean since I don't have a filter for it. It has a lid with led lighting on it. I also have a bubbler for it. It has an under gravel 'filter' which I don't know how to properly use... No heater but I can pick up a cheap one.

Also what stock would be ok in 5 gallon? I don't want a snail tank. It is small for fish... Can I do shrimp? How many? What kind is the hardiest and easiest ( I never owned shrimp before).

Any advice on how to run a small tank like that or stock ideas would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

I like bamboo shrimp (sometimes called filter shrimp) they're 1-4 inches. If you decide on inverts you're going to want to make sure you add calcium into the tank.
Also, you could do a crab or crayfish.

A bamboo shrimp will not work in a tank without a filter. They need a strong current in addition to a very established tank in order to filter feed and get enough to eat.
I really love my fire red shrimp, they have been very hardy in my experience and have multiplied like crazy.

Agree. I looked up bamboo shrimp and they are gorgeous but would not be healthy in a small tank. :(

Fiddler crab looked good too but they require more brackish conditions and need partly dry land... So they are no go either... Looking for other species to consider.

Back to shrimp. What about RCS, can I have 2 of them?

Agree. I looked up bamboo shrimp and they are gorgeous but would not be healthy in a small tank. :(

Fiddler crab looked good too but they require more brackish conditions and need partly dry land... So they are no go either... Looking for other species to consider.

Back to shrimp. What about RCS, can I have 2 of them?

You could have more like 50 of them :lol:

So I can start with 10 then in case they decide to breed...

How often would I have to clean the tank though? Can shrimp survive without a heater? It is 74-78*F in the room at all times..

Can shrimp survive without a heater? It is 74-78*F in the room at all times..

Stick an aquarium thermometer in the tank for a week and see IF and WHAT temperature the water maintains over the course of a week or so and at different times of day. I like my thermometer because it maintains the temp I set it at no matter what temp the room is. So if it's cooler and a little drafty one day, it's no problem.

Back
Top Bottom