5 gallon amphibian???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
We have a 5 gallon tank with a betta.

Wed normally keep a couple dwarf frogs with him as the lady loves frogs. For some reason they never last very long and I keep my water VERY clean. Honestly I think its the supplier more than anything.

I was wondering if there were any other neat critters I could put in the tank that might be a bit hardier?

I thought for 2 seconds about an axolotl when I saw it in the store until I realized how big they get. Are there any other small salamanders, newts or frogs I could keep in this tank?

thanks

We have a 5 gallon tank with a betta.

Wed normally keep a couple dwarf frogs with him as the lady loves frogs. For some reason they never last very long and I keep my water VERY clean. Honestly I think its the supplier more than anything.

I was wondering if there were any other neat critters I could put in the tank that might be a bit hardier?

I thought for 2 seconds about an axolotl when I saw it in the store until I realized how big they get. Are there any other small salamanders, newts or frogs I could keep in this tank?

thanks
Not an expert on amphibians but a 5 gallon is small to keep any other than African dwarf frogs. I am not familiar with them at all but my experience with fish or shrimps is that some of them need to be DRIP ACCLIMATED to there new home and then they adqpt good to changes. You can keep baby turtles i guess as they grow slowly but with betta you can't. I replied only because no one else replied so thats just a filling in info till some expert here can help you as i myself don't know much.

Are you target feeding the frogs? Often they do not get enough food. They should be kinda fat, not skinny like you usually get them from the pet stores.

the longest frogs were about a year.....ish. Other than those the last two only last a week and crapped out. I do target feed as the betta has become a real PITA and a glutton. most of my frogs who last middle of those two examples are very fat, almost worryingly fat. Ive tried keeping the water cooler, warmer, not changing as much, changing more, different foods..... etc

My tank is always weekly changed about 2/3rds with fresh dechlorinated (Prime) water and planted. I started to wonder if the substrate was no good for them, I use black diamond grit in my tanks. Was wondering if they were maybe eating it while going after food and it was hurting them.

I was going to try and get some guys from a different supplier to try but then I thought just maybe a new creature. Was looking at possibly fire belly newts if I can find them and just making a floating land spot in the tank or just a landing glued to the side for them

All salamanders are toxic. Both to you and your fish. The less water there is, the more concentrated their toxins get in the water. They will also try to eat fish. Bettas are a bit big for them, but since they are slow, they will try anyway. Fire bellies also get much too large for a 5 gallon. They should have a minimum of 10.

Chytrid fungus is a common killer of ADFs and can linger in a tank to infect new amphibian inhabitants.

If axolotls are poisonous with toxins I don't know how Mexicans in Mexico eat them. I think they maybe secrete something when scared but aside from drinking it's tank water or licking it I don't think it would harm you during general handling or putting your hand in the tank.

No, it wouldn't hurt you to handle it. But you certainly need to wash your hands after. If you touch your face and whatnot, it'll irritate the mucus membranes.

Idk. I've read stories of people accidentally swallowing tank water of an axolotl when they were siphoning by sucking on the hose with no side effects. I'd be a little worried about salmonella but even that can be prevented by not feeding them raw foods..... besides worms....and frequent water changes to keep them healthy. Of course wash your hands after handling it or putting your hands in the tank but that should be standard practice with even fish keeping.

It's certainly not going to hurt you if you drink the tank water from a salamander, but prolonged housing with fish in a small tank will probably kill them. But, for the record, axolotls tend to produce less toxin than other salamanders, like the fire belly.

True, axolotls shouldn't be kept with fish if you value the fish. Also, the fish can give the axolotl disease. I'm still kicking around the idea of keeping an axolotl. Once I can justify keeping a 20g long for just one axolotl then I'll pull the trigger.

True, axolotls shouldn't be kept with fish if you value the fish. Also, the fish can give the axolotl disease. I'm still kicking around the idea of keeping an axolotl. Once I can justify keeping a 20g long for just one axolotl then I'll pull the trigger.

Those do sound interesting for a larger (20g+) tank. The temperature part may be a hurdle in that they do best below 75 F. No gravel; just sand or bare bottom.
The 5g really limits ones choices.

Those do sound interesting for a larger (20g+) tank. The temperature part may be a hurdle in that they do best below 75 F. No gravel; just sand or bare bottom.
The 5g really limits ones choices.
I had a friend who kept one years ago in a 20g long. He used to hand feed it. Pretty cool. I have a basement that never gets over 70 degrees so it's good for an axolotl or goldfish.

I had a friend who kept one years ago in a 20g long. He used to hand feed it. Pretty cool. I have a basement that never gets over 70 degrees so it's good for an axolotl or goldfish.

Hmmm, next DPG sale pick up a 20 long. Or a 40b and get 3 axolotls.

Lol. That's all I need is another tank project. I'm currently in the process of getting a 125g discus tank set up for my father and I'm eyeballing a 240g for the living room at my place. I will try out the axolotl one of these days. They're just to cool not too.

Hmmm, next DPG sale pick up a 20 long. Or a 40b and get 3 axolotls.

One of out fish club members has a Axolotle the size of an arm, a monster sized one - always wins contests in the club because of size and good looks! Pink frilled and white.

Do some additional study on Paludariums!

40G breeder would be awesome, 36 inches wide and great amount of bottom space for building.

This isn't for a 5G but interesting and quite beautiful With a fire Belly Newt.

I remember that video! Such a beautiful tank. And plenty of water and filtration for a salamander to be able to live with fish. Even though I'm sure he eats one every now and then lol

One of out fish club members has a Axolotle the size of an arm, a monster sized one - always wins contests in the club because of size and good looks! Pink frilled and white.

Do some additional study on Paludariums!

40G breeder would be awesome, 36 inches wide and great amount of bottom space for building.

This isn't for a 5G but interesting and quite beautiful With a fire Belly Newt.

always wanted to build somethingl like this. heating during the ct winters up here would be a bear though.

Back
Top Bottom