5 Gallon FW Build/Journey Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATES:

ammonia is still 3ppm today...should I expect it to rise more in the duration of the week? do I want it to rise?

anyway, here was the picture, with the light on, that I promised yesterday to post:

img_1217189_0_1359527d04051a4c2cbeaf39a75eb434.jpg

As you can see, I got the flakes all over the tank...I will take more pictures tomorrow.

daileene said:
UPDATES:

ammonia is still 3ppm today...should I expect it to rise more in the duration of the week? do I want it to rise?

anyway, here was the picture, with the light on, that I promised yesterday to post:

As you can see, I got the flakes all over the tank...I will take more pictures tomorrow.

Looking good! :) Ammonia shouldn't rise too much unless you feed more than average one day, but you should try to feed the same amount each time. Soon enough it will begin dropping :D.

following... looks like you are off to a great start and have gotten some good advice!

Agree with BigJim on the light... I think 10W may be satisfactory, but I think 18W would be better and wouldn't require running CO2 or dosing much of anything (maybe a trace and some potassium).

Of course, I like a ridiculous amount of light :) So you may prove me wrong with the 10W bulb.

Looking good! :) Ammonia shouldn't rise too much unless you feed more than average one day, but you should try to feed the same amount each time. Soon enough it will begin dropping :D.

Hi Wayne. Thank you for this information. Very helpful indeed.

following... looks like you are off to a great start and have gotten some good advice!

Agree with BigJim on the light... I think 10W may be satisfactory, but I think 18W would be better and wouldn't require running CO2 or dosing much of anything (maybe a trace and some potassium).

Of course, I like a ridiculous amount of light :) So you may prove me wrong with the 10W bulb.

Hi fort. Thank you. I am happy that you guys are helping me with this. It is a great experience and very fulfilling.

With regards to the lights, I will observe how the plants later on will thrive with the 10W. If it will not be as healthy, I will go get the 18W. If it will not require CO2, then I am fine with that. I am just so weary if I have to do the CO2 coz I don't know if I am capable to do the DIY. I don't have much to invest in a pressurized CO2. :-(

So, we'll see. Thank you again.

DIY CO2 is easy and we can walk you thru it should you become interested later on. CO2 is a great addition to almost any tank IMO. You could be up and running for about $5-10 depending on what you might already have laying around the house.

cool.thanks. maybe later on when I become more braver, I will go into it. I know CO2 is a great addition. I guess I just have to read more into it.

Okay guys, I need your advice. Somebody offered me this one for $43 (shipping included):

I have a 4 gallon acrylic flatback hex tank on hand. Also includes a UG filter, heater, air pump, full hood and light. Fixture needs a bulb, a CF would work great.

Is the amount worth it? Please let me know coz if it is, I will get it for my 5 year old.

Thank you.

I think its worth what it is, I would say it is a Deal. But replace the Under Gravel filter with a sponge or mini filter. UG's arent the best, they are known to collect junk under the gravel which can bring ammonia.

UPDATES:

5th day of cycling, 4th day of testing the ammonia level. So far it is staying in the 3ppm. So I guess, so far so good still. Water is a little cloudy. I am not sure if it is normal. I have not done any water changes. So...

everything sounds fine. The cloudiness may be a bacteria bloom... is it milky white? If so, no worries, it will clear up in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom