5 gallon hex tank useable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshnoob1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5 gallon hexagon tank and I was wondering what I could put in it and since I have a well system would I still need RO/DI? The light is around 25 watts. Would it help to have a little HOB refugiuem?

some LR and hermit crabs and normal crabs and shrimp

You could probably keep a small goby - I've seen plenty of picotypes with them. Anything else would be pushing it though.

I have a clown goby in my 4g tank. he is a percher though so he just sits. lol
I wanted to add a barnacle blenny, if I can ever find one. But that fish just sits in a barnacle all day, also another non swimmer. :-(

So unimaginative. Lol sooo many type of inverts and everyone always looks at them as just cleaners. You could do a great shrimp Pico or a crab with LR and some snails or just do a cleaner shrimp, three or four turbos, five or so hermits and softies. I know its normally called a fish tank but you don't need fish(not to mention there are some tiiiiny fish that one could keep the even a five gallon wouldn't notice in the way of bioloading)

Just be ready cause keeping a pico is alot more work than my 125g reef tank. LOL You have to constantly be on the water parameters, overfeeding even a few flakes could cause an ammonia spike. I tend to change out a few quarts every few days to keep my water pristine enough for the corals I have.

I'd honestly suggest starting with a larger tank. It may cost a bit more in the end but you can get more fish, it'll be easier to take care of too.

Usually disagreed with, but I have always felt that starting with a very small tank and then graduating to a large one is better than big to small. This is because not much money is wasted if one fails time and time again but you learn quickly the practices and problems with saltwater. Not to mention when you figure out how to get it in harmony, those practices transfer extremely well to a larger tank in which you will be used to the extreme miantenance of a Pico so you are more willing to put the care in due to its fractional comparison to which one is accustomed.

It's a personal choice. I would think a 10g or 20g would be sufficient and give more room to actually keep things so one can get used to it. Also, since it's a bit harder to do a pico, losses can occur that would drive some people away from saltwater when they might really have a knack for it.

But to each their own. :)

I can agree. The possibilities opened even from five to ten gallons are decent incentive with out digging too much deeper into the pocket. Not to mention when you want to upgrade you can just use the ten gallon as a sump like I did lol

Back
Top Bottom