5 gallon planted! and PPS Pro dosing q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Fluval Spec V 5 gallon

Light- 16" Finnex FugeRay Planted+ SO BRIGHT
Substrate- UP AQUA Sand for Aquatic Plants
DIY CO2
Ferts- PPS Pro macro/micro, root tabs
Stock- 1 betta, 4 amano shrimp (probably), 2 nerites

Soooo I finally switched to PPS Pro about 2 months ago. I've been trying... different things. But I guess what's most relevant is that I used the suggested high light dose (1 ml macro every day, 2 drops micro for 5gal) w/ the light raised up abooout 8 inches? for most of this month. crypts took off like crazy, red-topped stems were stagnant, other stuff did pretty well. so I thought I would lower the light and see how things go. Last week I took off one level of the containers I have as a light raiser (see pics), and I'm definitely noticing a lot of holes/disintegrating leaves in the stems, as well as a sudden algae increase. when I was using my other liquid fertilizers, the stems would be red and beautiful for about 4 inches but get holey underneath that. now they dont even look that good.

I can't seem to find the right balance? everything else still looks pretty good though. Any suggestions? :O can I just... dose more? ditch the plants that are sad bc everything else is good lol?

thanks!

Attachments

• spec_mar17_03.jpg
    spec_mar17_03.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 93
  • spec_mar17_01.jpg
    spec_mar17_01.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 111
  • spec_mar17_04.jpg
    spec_mar17_04.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 85
  • spec_mar17_05.jpg
    spec_mar17_05.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 87
bonus:

-beautiful monte carlo from user salman before I had to tear it up and plant it. <3 ; ;
-betta fish hates nerites now.

Attachments

• spec_mar17_monte.jpg
    spec_mar17_monte.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 92
In an older thread we decided that my par was crazy high for such a small tank, so thats what I ended up doing.

I think your problem isn't light to be honest. I'd keep it raised to keep algae at bay. Your problem is most likely a potassium deficiency. I'd dose more k2so4. Just to recommended levels. Reds can be made redder with a little more iron and a bit more light.

I'd say light was too high as you mention which was causing nutrient shortfalls. You can go lower PAR to begin with then increase over time.

Plants will go red when they are healthy. If that means growing more slowly but having enough nutrients that's fine. As they approach the surface and reach up towards the higher PAR levels they will turn redder.

If you want intense reds at lower depth (AR mini) you'll need more light but this will have a knock on effect which will change how other plants behave and you will need to dose more of everything and trim more regularly to stay on top of things.

Bert and cal are on point as always. I gotta ask though....I am convinced you can grow those plants with the stock lights (newer version). May make it easier to balance.

The lights on newer specs I do not think are low par. Too much red and fast growth. I honestly think you can grow most anything out of the box with it.

20161231_101849.jpg20170326_105239.jpg

Look at rotala

I have the older spec V unfortunately. It's already got a couple burned out LEDs on it. I could still try it I guess though.

can I just... add more potassium to my mix? or should I make a seperate one with just K2SO4?

From older threads ive read the older lights werent so good. Id stay the course your going. Imo if you can dose separate I would go that route.

I have the older spec V unfortunately. It's already got a couple burned out LEDs on it. I could still try it I guess though.

can I just... add more potassium to my mix? or should I make a seperate one with just K2SO4?

You could always get a new nano light. They are pretty cheap. Chirios a series make a nano version and they are fully dimmable and will fit better on your tank. U can also purchase a new model fluval spec blight seperate. I'd change out the 24/7 and put it on another tank [emoji16]

2 tanks is always better than 1 :D

You could always get a new nano light. They are pretty cheap. Chirios a series make a nano version and they are fully dimmable and will fit better on your tank. U can also purchase a new model fluval spec blight seperate. I'd change out the 24/7 and put it on another tank [emoji16]

2 tanks is always better than 1 :D

haha.... I showed my husband your post, and he just shook his head sadly. <3

Haha aww come on it's only $30 ;)

oh, but!

if I get another tank for the other light, then I have to get rocks and dirt and fish, and what not.... And technically if I do get another tank, what I really want is a 30 gallon long with a giant school of micro fish, so I would even have to get another light for that....! :whistle:

I might actually look into the light though, it would honestly be nice not to have something that's blinding to look at. :fish2:

oh, but!

if I get another tank for the other light, then I have to get rocks and dirt and fish, and what not.... And technically if I do get another tank, what I really want is a 30 gallon long with a giant school of micro fish, so I would even have to get another light for that....! :whistle:

I might actually look into the light though, it would honestly be nice not to have something that's blinding to look at. :fish2:

Yea you could always sell the finnex too. I'm sure you would find someone on this forum who would want it :)

Meh I have 3 47" finnex lights and have been trying to get rid of 2 but no luck since.... after a while I ended up using two on one 55 long one 24/7+ planted the other is 24/7+ planted se, I know it's to much but using both has skyrocketed my growth and algae ofc hence my pond snail explosion 30+ snails.... ? once again any one interested?? Lol okay back to the lights now... the third one is a planted + which I put to use by lighting up the space underneath the 55 long & for my 25 gal quarantine tank, so yeah the planted + is still for sale. Sorry for rambling btw

Back
Top Bottom