5 Gallon Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Planterjonas

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a planted 5 gallon tank, with a topfin filter, and finnex ray 2. I am currently focusing on my java moss carpet and cryptocoryne growth. Any feedback or tips on the tank would be great :) :).

Plants- anubias, crypt. balansae, crypt. parva, crypt. wendtii, ferns (do know the name of), java moss, two mangroves
current inhabitants are: 5 neon tetras, 1 amano shrimp, 1 rcs, 1 assassin snail

image-1329308304.jpg

image-1994367705.jpg

image-726363412.jpg

image-4246737521.jpg

image-1921835473.jpg

Thanks! :)

I have a planted 5 gallon tank, with a topfin filter, and finnex ray 2. I am currently focusing on my java moss carpet and cryptocoryne growth. Any feedback or tips on the tank would be great :) :).

Plants- anubias, crypt. balansae, crypt. parva, crypt. wendtii, ferns (do know the name of), java moss, two mangroves
current inhabitants are: 5 neon tetras, 1 amano shrimp, 1 rcs, 1 assassin snail

Thanks! :)

How are you doing the carpet

How long have you had the tank set up? Are you using CO2 or liquid carbon? Are you having any algae issues? That is very high light for the low light plants you have.
I had a finnex ray2 on my 10g with pressurized CO2 and I was having major algae issues so I had to downgrade the lighting.

I recently just switched my light to the ray 2 about 2 weeks ago, I haven't seen a substantial amount of algae growing. I've never had algae problems with this tank since it had been set up this last summer. No c02 dosings and no liquid carbon dosings either. However, I'm gonna start adding flourish excel in a couple days when my package comes in the mail.

How are you doing the carpet

When I first started the tank, I drained the water to about 2 inches of water. I took my java moss and spreaded it out evenly on the substrate. I padded it down and put a couple rocks on it to hold it down to attach. I filled the tank back up and surprisingly, the java moss wasn't disturbed. Now the java moss is attached to substrate, but still waiting for it to grow in more...
Thanks

I fear you might have an algae problem in the near future. Might be a good idea to look into adding some form of carbon.

I fear you might have an algae problem in the near future. Might be a good idea to look into adding some form of carbon.

I am going to use flourish excel very soon. I hope I don't have any algae problems but I will probably only have a little algae due to the fact I only keep my lights on for 4-6 hours a day. Do you have any experience with flourish excel? Is it really beneficial? Could it make my plants pearl? Thanks

I do not have experience with liquid carbon. Rivercats could answer your questions about it though, she will probably chime in on this thread sometime soon.

Definitely start dosing some Excel (or Glut alternative). I also fear that you'll start experiencing some algae because the Ray 2 puts out A LOT of light. For that size tank, it's best for a "high tech" setup. Just keep the photoperiod short or raise the light. There's also a way you can reduce the intensity by adding window screen. I believe it reduces it around 30%. BillBug68 did that on his Ray 2... he'd be best to help with that if you're interested.

Your actually going to have to dose a high amount of liquid carbon and reducing the light as Brian suggested is a good idea. As for the liquid carbon start out with 1ml for every 5 gallons, then in a week up it to 1ml liquid carbon to every 2 gallons. If you leave the lighting as is you will need to go up to 1ml liquid carbon per every 1 gallon. Also you'll have to run lighting no more than 6 hours or run it with a 2 hour siesta period in the middle.

I usually turn on the lights when I get home like around 3:00 and leave them on till maybe 6 or 7

Is having a high light on low light plants bad? I don't want my plants to bleach or die...

Most will acclimate to high light but you do have to watch Anubia's because even with high light and CO2 they grow much slower than other plants and will often get algae growing on them. In my 220g with very high light I had to move mine into a shaded spot where they seem to do the best. Bolbitus grows like crazy with CO2 but it really don't seem to do well in high light. I started with a tiny little piece over a year ago and it is massive. I recently moved it and broke it into several pieces but the main piece is still big. Otherwise most plants do quite well. When I had crypts in the 220g they grew huge.

Update

Sorry to say but this tank is going to be reset and rescaped. I've had this tank for while now I want a new scape. The 5gallon will be dirted, and capped with floramax substrate. I'm going to put in some aquascaping rocks and new driftwood for a new home to red cherry shrimps. Lighting will be a finnex ray 2 16 inch and a same topfin filter. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom