5 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtanee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I'm getting a 5 gallon tank for free and I'm wondering what to stock it with. I was thinking of doing scarlet badis(male) with RCS(I dont mind if a couple get munched, in fact with scarlet badis that would probably be a good thing as they're more difficult to feed) and a couple of pygmy Cories. Is that way over stocked? I feel like it might be too much. even if I get a good filter and do water changes 2x a week.

How many badis and I'm not good with acronyms, what does RCS mean

Probably just one badis and rcs=red cherry shrimp :)

According to aqadvisor a 5.5 gallon with one badis, 5 RCS, and 4 cory's this what it says for stocking:

Warning: Pygmy Cory is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 1.2 inches
Warning: At least 4 x Pygmy Cory are recommended in a group.

Recommended temperature range: 23 - 27 C. [SIZE=-1][Display in Farenheit][/SIZE]
Recommended pH range: 6.3 - 7.
Recommended hardness range: 8 - 15 dH.

Recommended water change schedule: 18% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 108%.[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]

I may be mistaken but I thought the minimum tank size for the badis was 20 gallons? If so I definitely would opt not to place it in the 5 gallon, I'd skip on the Pygmy cories as well. That's a lot of fish for a 5 gallon.

Well, it depends on how much u want the badis if so buy a 15 Minimum tank and put a betta in the 5 gallon

I may be mistaken but I thought the minimum tank size for the badis was 20 gallons? If so I definitely would opt not to place it in the 5 gallon, I'd skip on the Pygmy cories as well. That's a lot of fish for a 5 gallon.

Its scarlet badis, not badis. Badis get much bigger. Scientific name for Scarlet is Dario Dario. They are teeny tiny compared to badis.

Well, it depends on how much u want the badis if so buy a 15 Minimum tank and put a betta in the 5 gallon

I've definitely heard of people putting scarlets in a 5 gallon, but yes I was thinking with pygmy's it might be a bit much. I'll probably just have the rcs and scarlet

There is a different species known as a scarlet badis that is a nano fish and only grows an inch or so. Normal badis are a south american cichlid that grows to 3-4 inches. I think that the stocking sounds just right for a five gallon :)

There is a different species known as a scarlet badis that is a nano fish and only grows an inch or so. Normal badis are a south american cichlid that grows to 3-4 inches. I think that the stocking sounds just right for a five gallon :)

Great! Thanks! I think if I do a 1 gallon wc 2x a week it would be okay.

I think that stocking sounds fine too. Might be best to get a couple more corys like aquadvisor suggested. They stay very small. Also RCS have hardly any bioload. If you add some live plants it would be even better :)

Thanks kuhligirl! Always helpful! And yeah it is gonna be heavily planted so shrimp can hide. I'm gonna try my first moss wall in this tank!

No problem! The reason I say plants are good is because they absorb nitrates (fast growing ones especially) so it's ok to stock a little bit higher in planted tanks :)

Hey! Scalret badis are my favourite fish. I have actually done a profile for them on here! Scarlet badis woukd be fine in this tank. If it is planyed well you could have a trio. They are usually kuch easier to feed than people think and they would enjoy some shrimplets! I would not recomend the cories just because they are so active they may seem couped up in a 5 gallon.

Hey! Scalret badis are my favourite fish. I have actually done a profile for them on here! Scarlet badis woukd be fine in this tank. If it is planyed well you could have a trio. They are usually kuch easier to feed than people think and they would enjoy some shrimplets! I would not recomend the cories just because they are so active they may seem couped up in a 5 gallon.

Even the pygmy Corie's? I like bottom feeder and these are just so cute. Its going to be a rectangle tank not square which I think would give them more swimming distance. But if you really don't think 4 of them would be good then I probably wont

Even the pygmy Corie's? I like bottom feeder and these are just so cute. Its going to be a rectangle tank not square which I think would give them more swimming distance. But if you really don't think 4 of them would be good then I probably wont

I really dont. Sorry. All corries should be a 10 gallon minimum. Besides pygmys are abit different than other cories. They like groups much bigger. I wouod recomend 10+

Back
Top Bottom