5 gallon tank stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palmtree7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have experience with freshwater tanks and I currently have a 15 gallon tank. I have a spare 5 gallon tank that I wanna do something with. I was think maybe a dwarf puffer or making it a invert only tank. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea I've had a betta before but i wanted to try something different. What kind of inverts would be a good idea for a 5 gallon

Yea I've had a betta before but i wanted to try something different. What kind of inverts would be a good idea for a 5 gallon

basically any of the smaller shrimp will do good in a tank that size you main limit is your water conditions. Some good beginners shrimp would be of the neo genus, like red cherry shrimp.

I'd do 1 or 2 dwarf puffers. 1 have 7 in my 20 gallon and they're great. Just keep them well fed and have LOTS of decorations and hiding places. If you do not have enough decor, puffers will become bored (yes, puffers get bored. They are very smart fish).

P.S.

I'm keeping mine with 2 MALE BETTAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are dwarf puffers compatible with anything else and also can they be aggressive with their own kind

Yes and no. They love otocinclus catfish, actually pretty much ignore them. I keep my dwarf puffer with a Dwarf Crayfish. Nice little inverts. In a tank that size, I'd probably do a dwarf puffer. I keep mine in a 2.5. Also, a cool idea would be a half and half tank. You could fill in 2.5 gallons of water, and add a plexiglass divider in the middle and make the other half land then find a nice little amphibian that be compatible with the Dwarf Puffer. I've often thought about doing this with my 10 gallon, and it's just an idea, I've never actually had amphibians, except for my hermit crabs which I've had for 6 years now. Anyway, don't shoot me because I don't know about that lol. Just some ideas. Hope I helped!

Nils

Yea that was very helpful thank you

At 5g you are right on the edge of stability. They are fine if stocked correctly. But Dwarf Puffers have a high bioload for their size. Think of them as mini Oscars ?. They are messy.

1 DP or 2 at the most might work if the tank is heavily planted.

I would not throw any amphibian into such a small tank.

Too small for Otos.

I still prefer my Shrimp or Nano fish, but that's me.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421120644.775021.jpg

If you breed Cherry Shrimp, you might be able to add a Scarlet Badis
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421120702.309646.jpg

I really like that scarlet basis it kind of looks like a mini cichlid. If I was to go this way would I be able to mix any shrimp with the rcs

I really like that scarlet basis it kind of looks like a mini cichlid. If I was to go this way would I be able to mix any shrimp with the rcs

Once the tank is stable if you decide you want to deal with a lower pH you could try a Cardinia species. RCS are Neocaridinia. If you mix two types of Neos you get mutt Shrimp that revert back to the wild type of color which is clear or a muddy brown.

The shrimp in the picture with my Scarlet Badis is a Crystal Red Shrimp ( CRS). They are more sensitive and not considered a beginner shrimp.
They are a Caridina sp and live with my RCS.

But I also use part distilled and part tap to keep my pH lower and I add other things to keep my pH lower.

SB will eat baby shrimp. So you do not add any predator fish to a Shrimp tank less you have a well-established population of shrimp and lots of plants for them to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom