5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
I have found myself owning a spare 5 gallon tank. Does anybody have any suggestions of any cool little amphibians I could get for a tank this size? I like fire-bellied newts, but I have found very conflicting info about keeping them. I also am thinking about ADF. How many would be happy in a 5 gallon (if any).
I am also thinking about a cool small crab (INSTEAD of an amphibian, not in addition to).

Personally, I would do the ADF's, although I guess I am partial to them. I have 4 in a 5 gallon, and they are living happily. They are pretty simple and straight forward to take care of. I alternate feeding them HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites and Bloodworms each evening, skipping one day per week. You could even fit 5 frogs in a 5 gallon, just no other fish. The only drawback with them is that they are messy eaters. They don't have a large bioload, they just don't do a good job getting all the particles of food. Thus, you have to keep an eye out for algae. I currently have an algae problem in my ADF tank because the nutrients build up so quickly.

Sorry for the long winded answer, just wanted to cover all of the bases.

Personally, I would do the ADF's, although I guess I am partial to them. I have 4 in a 5 gallon, and they are living happily. They are pretty simple and straight forward to take care of. I alternate feeding them HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites and Bloodworms each evening, skipping one day per week. You could even fit 5 frogs in a 5 gallon, just no other fish. The only drawback with them is that they are messy eaters. They don't have a large bioload, they just don't do a good job getting all the particles of food. Thus, you have to keep an eye out for algae. I currently have an algae problem in my ADF tank because the nutrients build up so quickly.

Sorry for the long winded answer, just wanted to cover all of the bases.
Thats fine. Thanks for your input. :) I do like ADFs a lot. What temp do you keep your at? I have seen some varying info about that.

ADFs are great little guys. I have had two in the past, each kept singly in a 2.5g. I used a small heater to keep the tank around 76-78 and feeding similarly to adadskin1. I would recommend numbers. On their own, they are average activity, but in groups I have seen them much more entertaining.

I would think 3-4 would be good in a tank. I have read/seen the recommendation of one frog per 2.5g, but I think that might be a bit much.

The only problem I have had with them is that in my area, they aren't the healthiest. They last a good few weeks and that's it. Most local shops won't even carry them because they are just sick from the supplier. Chain shops will, but they don't usually make it. Hopefully your area has better luck!

On a side note, if you are worried about algae, pop in a nerite snail. Small bioload and are little algae eating monsters.

ADFs are great little guys. I have had two in the past, each kept singly in a 2.5g. I used a small heater to keep the tank around 76-78 and feeding similarly to adadskin1. I would recommend numbers. On their own, they are average activity, but in groups I have seen them much more entertaining.

I would think 3-4 would be good in a tank. I have read/seen the recommendation of one frog per 2.5g, but I think that might be a bit much.

The only problem I have had with them is that in my area, they aren't the healthiest. They last a good few weeks and that's it. Most local shops won't even carry them because they are just sick from the supplier. Chain shops will, but they don't usually make it. Hopefully your area has better luck!

On a side note, if you are worried about algae, pop in a nerite snail. Small bioload and are little algae eating monsters.
Yeah, I have often seen pretty sorry looking ones. I do have an lfs that gets them in sometimes though and those look fine.
Have you ever kept any newt species?

Nope, but I have wanted to. I'm not sure I have ever seen any that would be fine in a five gallon. With those, You would need a tight lid. I have seen dried out ones behind the tanks at LFSs.

Well, Google says one red belly newt can be in a 5g. They are about 3 inches, so I'm guessing any other newt at three inches would also be good? There isn't much info on the net about newts being kept as a serious pet.

Nope, but I have wanted to. I'm not sure I have ever seen any that would be fine in a five gallon. With those, You would need a tight lid. I have seen dried out ones behind the tanks at LFSs.
Yeah, I know there a few tiny species that I have heard can go in 5 gallons, but I have come to prefer info from people who own the animals and not just from people who are trying to sell them. I have heard that red-spotted newts are ok in a 5 gallon. I have also heard that Chinese fire-bellied newt can be in a 5 gallon, but I am skeptical.

Well, Google says one red belly newt can be in a 5g. They are about 3 inches, so I'm guessing any other newt at three inches would also be good? There isn't much info on the net about newts being kept as a serious pet.
Yeah, i googled it and found info saying everything from 5 gallons to 20 gallon minimum.

I've recently bought a 5.5 gal that I'm going to cycle and set up for ADFs. :D The ones I see at the Pet/fish stores are soo skinny, one in particular I saw recently made me sad. :( I doubt it'll still be there by the time I'm ready to rescue it.

I don't have any amphibian experience yet so I can't help you with your initial question, sorry about that.

I just use a cheapo preset heater to keep the tank about 77 degrees. I agree that groups are 10 times more entertainment.

However, I don't think 3 or 4 frogs is too much. 5 frogs is about the safe maximum I have been reccomended. Siva, who has tons of experince with ADF's, says she has kept 5 frogs in a 5g with no problems.

About the nerite snails: They don't help with cyanobacteria (BGA), which I get easily , but have to tear down and re-build a tank to get rid of. :banghead:

Alright, I was just throwing out my opinion. If someone has good experience with that number, then why not try it out? More frogs, more entertainment. haha

I have a heater I got at Goodwill for a dollar. It's a preset one too.

So, OP, have you had any luck?

Alright, I was just throwing out my opinion. If someone has good experience with that number, then why not try it out? More frogs, more entertainment. haha

I am still not sure what I will do. I have been told (on a diffferent site)that a chinese red-bellied salamander would be ok, but I am skeptical, so I think I will avoid that. So far, ADF is my #1 plan. Still looking into crabs species though.:)
Great goodwill purchase! I figured I would peruse ebay for a super cheap heater if I get ADFs.

I have seen that too, that red bellies can be a 5g. That's your call though.

And ebay is a great choice. Or Goodwill Hunting can be a lot of fun. My friend was looking for a new tank, so we went to 11 different Goodwills and I picked up all kinds of cheap fish stuffs. Well worth it.

I have seen that too, that red bellies can be a 5g. That's your call though.

And ebay is a great choice. Or Goodwill Hunting can be a lot of fun. My friend was looking for a new tank, so we went to 11 different Goodwills and I picked up all kinds of cheap fish stuffs. Well worth it.
Thats great. I live in a small town, so we only have 3 thrift stores, but I certainly peruse them a lot.:)

Thats fine, we only know from experince and by word of mouth...or uhhhh keyboard.

Nice deal on the heater! (y)

I have found myself owning a spare 5 gallon tank. Does anybody have any suggestions of any cool little amphibians I could get for a tank this size? I like fire-bellied newts, but I have found very conflicting info about keeping them. I also am thinking about ADF. How many would be happy in a 5 gallon (if any).
I am also thinking about a cool small crab (INSTEAD of an amphibian, not in addition to).

You can do 3-5 ADF's in there. They thrive at 80 degrees. I alternate HBH Frog and Tadpole bites with frozen foods, every other day. When the frogs are first purchased they are usually very young and underweight so I feed frozen foods exclusively for the first couple weeks. I recently switched from feeding inside a peice of decor to using a feeding dish, and this has helped reduce clean up tremendously. Now there is never an uneaten morsel. Whatever you decide to use, feed in the same place every day since the frogs are nearly blind. I wouldn't keep anything else with them, besides a nerite snail for algae clean up. They really appreciate a well planted tank. I would have to say mine spend atleast half of their time lounging in the pennywort. If you are using any fake plants, inspect them carefully because the frogs have sensitive skin that can be easily damaged. Inspect any wood or decor as well and file any rough edges or pokey spots. Also be sure any decor is firmly planted in the substrate so they can't knock it over and pin themselves down. They often slam back down pretty rough after surfacing for air and can drown if they become trapped. They need a smooth substrate. Stones too large to fit in their mouths work well. While I have never had battles between my males, it probably wouldn't be too great to end up with like 3 males and 1 female or something like that in a 5 gal tank, so I would try to sex them and get atleast 1 female per male. The males have a gland under their armpit that makes an obvious little bump.

You can do 3-5 ADF's in there. They thrive at 80 degrees. I alternate HBH Frog and Tadpole bites with frozen foods, every other day. When the frogs are first purchased they are usually very young and underweight so I feed frozen foods exclusively for the first couple weeks. I recently switched from feeding inside a peice of decor to using a feeding dish, and this has helped reduce clean up tremendously. Now there is never an uneaten morsel. Whatever you decide to use, feed in the same place every day since the frogs are nearly blind. I wouldn't keep anything else with them, besides a nerite snail for algae clean up. They really appreciate a well planted tank. I would have to say mine spend atleast half of their time lounging in the pennywort. If you are using any fake plants, inspect them carefully because the frogs have sensitive skin that can be easily damaged. Inspect any wood or decor as well and file any rough edges or pokey spots. Also be sure any decor is firmly planted in the substrate so they can't knock it over and pin themselves down. They often slam back down pretty rough after surfacing for air and can drown if they become trapped. They need a smooth substrate. Stones too large to fit in their mouths work well. While I have never had battles between my males, it probably wouldn't be too great to end up with like 3 males and 1 female or something like that in a 5 gal tank, so I would try to sex them and get atleast 1 female per male. The males have a gland under their armpit that makes an obvious little bump.
Awesome. Thanks for the help. Do you know of any crabs or anything else (thats is not a fish or shrimp) that could go in a 5 gallon tank?

I would say thai micro crabs, but since I spent a fortune on mine and they all died off quickly, I can't recommend them. Most other crabs in the hobby are only semi aquatic and I don't think a 5 gal is big enough to give them the proper land and water areas. I've been hearing panther crabs are truly aquatic but I think they are a bit large for a 5 gal, but I'm not positive.

Dwarf crays would be great though. You could do one pair of dwarf patz or two of cambarellus shufeldtii.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom