$50 for Pellia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelWings

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wow, got the Pellia I ordered today. It was $50, and I expected it to look like more than this.

This is 12 portions, in royall about the size of the palm of my hand. Does that seem reasonable?

Does anyone have any special tips about caring for it? I plan to attach with thread to drift wood. As expensive as out its, I don't want to kill it off accidentally.

Will goldfish eat it? I read further that most fish won't touch it, but shrimp would. If I put it in my goldie tank and it disappears, I might cry!

ForumRunner_20121005_122642.jpg

WOW that was expensive....:confused:
Attached to a driftwood, but there is a chance that a goldfish will bite it...specially if it is hungry...:banghead:

Well, you'll be amused to know...
I attached it all along the driftwood, and it was gorgeous.
WAS.
When I got to work this morning, I found the goldfish had eaten 3/4 of it. LOL... At least they had a good salad! I ordered some duck weed today. Maybe they'll snack on that and leave any future plants alone. Fingers crossed. :)

Before

ForumRunner_20121009_191014.jpg

After

ForumRunner_20121009_191039.jpg

Lord mine love love love duckweed. When I add a bunch eat they will gorge all day till every little bit is gone. I feed my big fancies veggies at least 3x week and have plants for nibbling and have found in my 2 goldie tanks only anubia, crypts, and swords are left alone. Could you get a little breeder box of something and get some growing in their to increase what you have left?

Ha ha, thanks! Anubias are the next to go into the tank. I'm not sure if that tank has enough light for the swords. So do you grow your own duckweed in a separate tank, and just give them portions every few days? Our do you have to keep buying new stock?

We grow it outside until winter then I have a 20g in the sunroom that gets used as a winter grow tank. I usually only give them duckweed once every week or two. But my goldies like all kinds of veggies and fruits. Since we have ponds with koi they get all kinds of food items. For fruits watermellon and oranges are the favorites, then peas and zucchini are the two fav veggies. Duckweed is their candy. If you decide to grow some duckweed you just need something to hold water in and i use a window sill or table that gets some sun and alot of light. Just give alittle at a time cause a little spoon once put in the water is more duckweed than you think there would be.

I have a ten gallon fry tank that gets light all day, you think it would grow ok in there? How long does it take to multiply?

All it usually takes is good light. If there is a touch of fertilizer in the water it will grow like a weed. It will block out all light in a tank pretty quick so you would have a pretty steady supply. A fry tank would work fine.

AngelWings said:
Wow, got the Pellia I ordered today. It was $50, and I expected it to look like more than this.

This is 12 portions, in royall about the size of the palm of my hand. Does that seem reasonable?

Does anyone have any special tips about caring for it? I plan to attach with thread to drift wood. As expensive as out its, I don't want to kill it off accidentally.

Will goldfish eat it? I read further that most fish won't touch it, but shrimp would. If I put it in my goldie tank and it disappears, I might cry!

IMO that is a crime to charge $50 for 12 portions, let alone portions that small. I got mine for $2 and it was a softball sized clump. Where did you get yours from?

Back
Top Bottom