50 Gal Planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
None. It's a community tank, so what happens- happens. I'm hoping the parents don't become aggressive and leave the rest of the community alone. I have other tanks I can set up, but would rather not. So far they are just sticking to their one little corner and are being good, so I'm hoping desperately that they continue on that way. They are completely ignoring my ottos and the only other fish "dumb" enough to venture over there seems to be my gourami and they haven't been mean to her; just have been chasing her away from the corner.

Coleallensmom said:
None. It's a community tank, so what happens- happens. I'm hoping the parents don't become aggressive and leave the rest of the community alone. I have other tanks I can set up, but would rather not. So far they are just sticking to their one little corner and are being good, so I'm hoping desperately that they continue on that way. They are completely ignoring my ottos and the only other fish "dumb" enough to venture over there seems to be my gourami and they haven't been mean to her; just have been chasing her away from the corner.

Lol good, at least they laid in a corner, not right in the middle of your tank!

My angels spawned back in the day, and it was such a delight to watch the process. I hope you can too. Sounds like you have a good pair - have you seen them fanning the eggs?

How do you not have tons of algae or green water with that fixture?? I have a 40 breeder with a 2x39 watt t5ho and I am going through green water right now. Beautiful tank by the way. Your tank is an excellent example of what can be done without c02.

My angels spawned back in the day, and it was such a delight to watch the process. I hope you can too. Sounds like you have a good pair - have you seen them fanning the eggs?

Yes, they have been..and yes, I am very glad they laid them in a corner!!

How do you not have tons of algae or green water with that fixture?? I have a 40 breeder with a 2x39 watt t5ho and I am going through green water right now. Beautiful tank by the way. Your tank is an excellent example of what can be done without c02.

I don't always run both sets of lights (dual switches with two bulbs per switch) but floating pennywort acts as a great diffuser.

Coleallensmom said:
I don't always run both sets of lights (dual switches with two bulbs per switch) but floating pennywort acts as a great diffuser.

Never thought of doing that. Will have to get some pennywort. Thanks.

I like the way it looks when it grows across the top of my tank and it's not messy like duckweed or some of the other floating plants!

Coleallensmom said:
I ended up splurging on a bag of Eco-complete to add to what I already had in the tank. The substrate in the front of the tank was only about an inch deep and really needed a little more depth since the bylxa has completely taken over the foreground. Added some to the back slope while I was at it too. Really changes the look of things and make my shrimp easier to see. There might be some more changes with this tank within the next couple weeks..my local fish dealer got a shipment of manzanita in and I'm hoping to score a few pieces!

What type of lighting do you use to have all those beautiful plants?

They are very cool. My angels are pretty silly though- while they guard them like dragons during the day, they sleep with the other angels in their normal spot back in the back of the tank at night. They spawned yesterday for the third time but the eggs always seem to disappear within a day or two. Someone in there is eating well at night time. lol

They've spawned three times (about every three weeks) but so far they've all been eaten- usually once the eggs progress to wigglers. I think the movement really attracts the attention of the other fish in the tank.

As many before me have said your tank is amazing! I absolutely love it! The plants look great and the fish are perfect! Exceptional!

Thank you! Will have some updated FTS soon. Lots going on with this tank in the past few months. Another set of the angels paired off and it was just too much stress for the community, so I swapped with another angel owner one of the breeding pairs for two new silver juveniles. Also added quite a bit of manzanita to the tank.

img_1838803_0_94657991daed8d58aa79d962657c8da4.jpg

img_1838803_1_9f2adf7b18c84ebfddf7711c99350ba9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom