50 gallon or bigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cocoasmama123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just want to say how thankful I am to have found a forum for and about fishies. I brought home a rescue betta from a function. They were going to flush the fishies. My Dashel passed a few days ago, but he had a very happy life. I broke his tank down yesterday. It was just a 5 gallon with heat and filter. I cried while cleaning it.

My brother in law saw my love for fish, so he recommended a 50 gallon or 75 gallon. I have Multiple Sclerosis, so my balance is off, and Icannot stand on stool to reach down to clean tank, so after much thought I decided the fish tank would be perfect on my fireplace ledge. When I had my house inspected for tornado damage, I was told I have a fireplace inside, but nothing to let fire escape. I have place for a 50 or 75 gallon tank. Which is easier to care for 50 0r 75?

I would like a blood parrot, but what other fishies can live with him? My other question is how do I decide what fish I take in to safe room?

Thanks,
Jennie

Well, the height of the two tanks should be the only thing that matters as far as care goes I would think any ways. The taller the tank the farther you have to reach to get your arm over the side of the tank. A 50 gallon tank is 20 inches tall while a 75 is 22. It really depends on what fish you want in the tank and what you want out of the tank. A single blood parrot can be kept in either of these tanks. Iy you go the 75, you could get two but only if they were a breeding pair. I wouldn't really suggest getting any tank mates for them because they tend to be aggressive. Look at the link below to see tank dimensions and select a tank that would be fit you and your fish. If you like blood parrots is it because they look like goldfish or is it because they have the personality of a cichlid. I personally would suggest getting better looking cichlids or a few goldfish for a tank that size. I just don't really like blood parrots because they are a hybrid cichlid. Some cool cichlids I would suggest for the 75 but not the 50 would be a flower horn or an oscar. Some gold fish for either would be oranda, moor, and ranchu. Let me know on what tank you decided on and I will help you with a stocking for the new tank.

link for the tank sizes
Standard Tank Sizes

Good luck,
~Zac

I liked the blood parrot as it seemed they are friendly. My sis has an Oscar that is mean even to the pitbull, Oscar likes to charge his tank when man or beast walk by his tank. i would like tank where everyone gets along.

I would suggest not getting a blood parrot then. They really aren't suited for community tanks and would be better in a species only aquarium. Fancy gold fish, like the ones I listed in the previous post tend to look a lot like blood parrots and are very nice. Gold fish however are cold water fish so you don't really have many options for tank mates. If you are looking for a community tank I would suggest a german blue ram or two, some corys and a few tetra schools. Hope this helps
~Zac :fish1:

I would check out the red spot gold severums That is one in my avatar

+1 That, severums would be a great fish for you. I also think that the red spotted in particular are much prettier than blood parrots.:brows:

Back
Top Bottom