50g adventures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xigtc

Aquarium Advice Activist
New to me 50g tank that I'd appreciate some input on aquascaping and stocking. If this is the wrong locating for the topic I'm sorry.. I spent yesterday evening with the help of my wife and daughter building the stand and leak testing the tank.

So far I've spent $100 tank/materials. I items I have to use: Sun Sun hw304b, Hydor 425 powerhead, 2 Finnex150w heaters , and the stock 15w T8 full spectrum bulbs. I'd like to keep this medium to low light. But I know plants I'd love to have and try require more lighting. I have liquid ferts from Seachem and I have root tabs. I purchased 5 bags of Eco complete for substrate and I'm working on getting my hands on a nice piece of Redmoor driftwood.

I'm leaning towards Ember Tetras10-15, Corydoras Pandas3-4, haven't decided on anything else. I'd like to be able to keep some of my rcs in here as well. Sorry for dirty tank pics. Rinsing it out soon.

All input appreciated!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472746780.854308.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472747759.181319.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Driftwood and rock ordered. Thought I'd post pics of items. I've got some layouts in my mind. Driftwood on left with rocks at the base. Moss creeping up the branches...

Adding pressurised co2? What plants are u thinking of stocking? Looks like it's going to be nice!

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

I'd rather not get into C02. The cost and knowledge is beyond what I'm able to put into this tank. I'd like to keep it low-medium light. Plants I'm leaning towards forgive my lack of scientific names... Java ferns with big leaves , Java ferns with narrow leaves, micro swords (I've seen it do well), dwarf sagittaris.

I'd rather not get into C02. The cost and knowledge is beyond what I'm able to put into this tank. I'd like to keep it low-medium light. Plants I'm leaning towards forgive my lack of scientific names... Java ferns with big leaves , Java ferns with narrow leaves, micro swords (I've seen it do well), dwarf sagittaris.

Anubias and some crypts can do well without co2 under low light intensity.

Looking forward to seeing the scape.

Ends up cheaper in the long run going pressurised as excel is an expensive product, in saying that that tho u can still have a beautiful tank without it. Make sure your very careful with your light intensity or u will hit some big dramas :) I've got a 50g in the shed I'll be setting up one day when I've got the time and money to burn haha ;)

Anubias and some crypts can do well without co2 under low light intensity.

Looking forward to seeing the scape.

Seeing your comment I ordered some Anubias Nana. Went ahead ordered Java Fern, Trident Java Fern, Java Moss, Dwarf Sagittaria.

Ends up cheaper in the long run going pressurised as excel is an expensive product, in saying that that tho u can still have a beautiful tank without it. Make sure your very careful with your light intensity or u will hit some big dramas :) I've got a 50g in the shed I'll be setting up one day when I've got the time and money to burn haha ;)

Yes I know but it's not something I really want to venture into at this time. I don't dose often and root tabs help a lot it seems paired with Eco complete.

Goodies arrived today! Filter, substrate, heaters all in and filled. Probably going to go ahead and grab some fish tomorrow when I go to town. I ordered 6 bags of substrate only poured 4 in for now. Rest will go in once I get plants, dw, rocks.

I think my wife and I have finally settled on fish for stocking.
10-15 Ember Tetra
10-15 Cardinal Tetra
6 Corydoras Panda
Some sort of shrimp and a 1-2 Tiger Nerite snails.

Thanks for the tips!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472866821.072944.jpg

Seeing your comment I ordered some Anubias Nana. Went ahead ordered Java Fern, Trident Java Fern, Java Moss, Dwarf Sagittaria.

Yes I know but it's not something I really want to venture into at this time. I don't dose often and root tabs help a lot it seems paired with Eco complete.

Goodies arrived today! Filter, substrate, heaters all in and filled. Probably going to go ahead and grab some fish tomorrow when I go to town. I ordered 6 bags of substrate only poured 4 in for now. Rest will go in once I get plants, dw, rocks.

I think my wife and I have finally settled on fish for stocking.
10-15 Ember Tetra
10-15 Cardinal Tetra
6 Corydoras Panda
Some sort of shrimp and a 1-2 Tiger Nerite snails.

Thanks for the tips!!
View attachment 289088

Good stuff. Make sure the tank has good even flow.

Also if you are doing a fish in cycle. Stock in small batches and change water more often for the first 3-4 weeks.

Good luck

Also if you are doing a fish in cycle. Stock in small batches and change water more often for the first 3-4 weeks.

This is a good point. To be honest, I hope you're not doing a fish-in cycle: cardinals are just the wrong fish for that, and I'be afraid of losing them during the cycle. Much better is the fishless cycle.

Great choice of fish. Given that cardinals and Embers are going to put a relatively small bioload on your tank, you could up that school of pandas ---x2, say-- and see some really entertaining behavior from them.

Good stuff. Make sure the tank has good even flow.

Good luck

Thanks! I've looked through several of your threads! All great and very informative! I put 2 strings into the substrate on opposite ends and I'm adjusting the powerhead to even it out!

This is a good point. To be honest, I hope you're not doing a fish-in cycle: cardinals are just the wrong fish for that, and I'be afraid of losing them during the cycle. Much better is the fishless cycle.

Great choice of fish. Given that cardinals and Embers are going to put a relatively small bioload on your tank, you could up that school of pandas ---x2, say-- and see some really entertaining behavior from them.

I'm seeding this canister from another tank I have. Sorry I failed to mention that, plus I'm using Seachem Stability since I've had good luck using it getting a tank running.

I'll consider that with the panda's! Thanks for all the input!

I'm seeding this canister from another tank I have. Sorry I failed to mention that, plus I'm using Seachem Stability since I've had good luck using it getting a tank running.

Ah, okay. :D

Seeding should speed along your cycle. And I like Stability: It's not a magic "add fish instantly" potion, but it definitely speeded up my cycle, and I now add it after every water change.

Thanks! I've looked through several of your threads! All great and very informative! I put 2 strings into the substrate on opposite ends and I'm adjusting the powerhead to even it out!

I'll consider that with the panda's! Thanks for all the input!

Thanks. That's interesting. Another string in the substrate method for flow. Never thought to try that.

I got 5 Neon Tetra so the store says... They're in and doing well. I'm checking the water 1-2 day using my api master test kit. Also doing 25% wc 1-2 a day. Everything is good, ph is a little high but once I get my driftwood I should be okay. I also have half a bag of a ph reducing substrate I use with my rcs.

All of my plants arrived today. I thought my driftwood would arrive as well since I ordered from the same person... But usps has a different idea and it isn't arriving till next week. So I hurried just to wait...

I have noticed I have good water flow low-to medium height but on the end where my intake is the surface is moving but it's just sits and spins on the right side. Should I be concerned? I have the skimmer pipe setup on my canister. Doesn't seem to be doing much.

https://youtu.be/BrsTluh6MLc

Looks nice so far! Will be great to see when fully complete!

All of my plants arrived today. I thought my driftwood would arrive as well since I ordered from the same person... But usps has a different idea and it isn't arriving till next week. So I hurried just to wait...

I have noticed I have good water flow low-to medium height but on the end where my intake is the surface is moving but it's just sits and spins on the right side. Should I be concerned? I have the skimmer pipe setup on my canister. Doesn't seem to be doing much.

https://youtu.be/BrsTluh6MLc

Could you hook up a spray bar to the filter?

You could put a little pump on that side facing the same way as the water flow.

Edit: the plants in that side seem to be swaying nicely. Might not be a problem. Nice tank.

Looks nice so far! Will be great to see when fully complete!

Thanks I hope to do this tank justice!

Could you hook up a spray bar to the filter?

You could put a little pump on that side facing the same way as the water flow.

Edit: the plants in that side seem to be swaying nicely. Might not be a problem. Nice tank.

I have an 18" spray bar on the back left side. Also have a Hydor powerhead on the left front corner blowing across the tank.

Okay thanks!! Driftwood just arrived!! Going to go boil it and get ready to work on the tank!

I'm kicking myself for not getting more driftwood... I feel like it looks great on the far left side. I know the right side will look better once the Dwarf Sagittaria takes root. The Java fern on the right looks out of place and the middle looks empty.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473462861.690040.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473462878.126232.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473462888.731595.jpg
Any ideas? I'm already searching for another piece of driftwood I could possible tie into what I have to make it reach more towards the right.

I'd move the Java fern on the right over to the left side at the back. Once you have your new piece of driftwood you could place that on the right and add plants around it so you have two focal points either side and a open 'swimming' area in the middle.

I think this tank is far from finished yet in terms of planting.

I'd move the Java fern on the right over to the left side at the back. Once you have your new piece of driftwood you could place that on the right and add plants around it so you have two focal points either side and a open 'swimming' area in the middle.

I think this tank is far from finished yet in terms of planting.

I like that idea I'll see if I can find another piece.

Back
Top Bottom