50G build, upgrade from 20G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HN1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so my wife (severum mama) convinced me to go to the salty side while we were dating so we set up a simple 20G with HOB filter and everything has pretty much thrived under our 2x65 PC lights. She already had a drilled 3' 50G tank waiting and it's way past time to upgrade. I blame you folks for enabling me and showing off such gorgeous reefs.... our 20G has turned into coral storage. No aquascape, purely "where will that fit?". lol

I realized after 122 trips to hardware stores that I really had no clue about plumbing and had a mental block regardless of how many posts, pages, videos, etc. I tried to learn from. Yesterday I got frustrated and desperate and posted a thread on our local club site (Atlanta Reef Club).

I still can't believe how many offers of help we received. Everytime I start to get frustrated with the club drama, I will remember how willing folks are to go way out of there way for one another. It kinda reminds me of my family... gripe and complain about everything until something is really needed and then it's all for one... blah blah. I digress....

A member and his wife drove an hour to come help out Friday night. Three other members were ready to carpool over to spend a Saturday helping me with my problems. Just amazing.... :)

Well, I got froggy yesterday and hit Lowe's for the last time to get what was needed for the return before we met another member to do a trade for frags. He made us a great trade that I almost feel guilty about. Like I needed more motivation to get this thing done right?

Then we didn’t like the output options and look of the PVC so on a whim I called a local LFS. OMG! They had loc line in stock! So after going for loc line and returning with that plus more LR, fish (both FW & SW), frozen food, etc. (This store is like an ice cream shop for a fat kid, seriously!), we finished the return plumbing and waited anxiously for it to cure. After waiting several times, had a few leaks, we got to fill the system with tap and test it out. Everything looked good last night except for a small seepage leak at one union so we drained it, smothered on more cement and went to bed. This morning all looks good after our first run and we’re rinsing sand.

Anyways, here's the actual start...

Attachments

• DSC_0705.jpg
    DSC_0705.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0707.jpg
    DSC_0707.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0708.jpg
    DSC_0708.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0712.jpg
    DSC_0712.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 119
Local clubs are unbeatable when it comes to needing help like that. Looks like a great start, keep us posted!

It won't be long now that you'll be staring at your 120 and thinking "Look at all the room for corals in there" Trust me, my poor 125 gets "the look" constantly. haha!

Yay! Glad ya'll have it all plumbed and are getting ready to move everything over! I am going to be wishing I went with the 50g for my reef instead of my 38g while looking at this thread. :D Can't wait to see the progress!

Local clubs are unbeatable when it comes to needing help like that. Looks like a great start, keep us posted!

It won't be long now that you'll be staring at your 120 and thinking "Look at all the room for corals in there" Trust me, my poor 125 gets "the look" constantly. haha!

LOL... we have a 100 gallon frag tank and a 5 foot 125 to work on next. Our 4 foot 120 is going to remain a FW tank.

I wish the water would hurry up and clear so we could start the transfer!!! :p

Thats really awesome. It sounds like you guys have a lot of tanks lol. I really want to do that some day. By the way, whats the plumbing for anyways? Also, did you guys have to do that for the 20G reef tank you guys have? Or its not needed for a small tank like that..

Thanks folks! We're now waiting for sand to settle and fiddling with the skimmer.

Links- The plumbing is for the overflow from the display to the sump and the return. We ran our 20 with a rubble loaded HOB. I really wouldn't recommend it as a starter system, but our's did well.

Ok, we've fiddled and fiddled, and finally the transfer is done. It's still cloudy but here are a couple more pics.
img_1002872_0_b7c448e7bc276e80c34288575ac9a107.jpg

img_1002872_1_4d26dc9688d6da330077e6b979685591.jpg

Wow.. i really really love it. Beautiful tank you guys have. Theres room for fish to swim and lots of rock as well. Great setup.

There's quite a bit of coral that isn't showing up in the pics. The 20 gallon was crammed full.... too full!

6x 39W Nova Extreme Pro HO T5. I could try for a better pic... but honestly, I'm too tired. LOL!

I don't blame you lol. Are the fans on it noisy? I'm planning on getting the 48" nova extreme pro when I upgrade to a 75g. After the coralife aqualight on my 20g I'm not taking that risk.....

Very nice job guys, the cloudiness is probably enhancing the blue in the photo. now you seem to have plenty of room, what's next? Oh yeah, moooooooore pics please.;)

Back
Top Bottom